Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

User Tag List

Lenovo Bad motherboard?

This is a discussion on Lenovo Bad motherboard? within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Question for the group. I recently had a Lenovo Workstation P50 Windows 7 Pro installed that belonged to a customer

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By satrow
Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 07:54 AM   #1
Registered Member

OS: Asus Notebook Windows 10, 2-Customs Windows 7 Pro / Ubuntu

Send a message via Yahoo to LouMjr

Question for the group. I recently had a Lenovo Workstation P50 Windows 7 Pro installed that belonged to a customer with boot up issues. Upon diagnosis I suspected a bad motherboard. My guess.
Things I did to troubleshoot .
Reset CMOS, removed external battery, disconnected CMOS battery, both internal HDDs disconnected, removed memory chip.

Reconnecting everything I was able to boot up with another Lenovo A/C DC adapter of lower wattage with the external battery removed. Would not boot on the customers factory 170 watt or new Lenovo 170 watt adapters. When any of those plugged in the LED would blink three times.

Note: When I could gt it booted I tried turning off Airplane mode. The system would immediately shut off.

Ive tried with memory removed with a new battery etc. The keyboard would blink and no boot. The only way I could boot the system up was with no (external) battery installed using a low watt Lenovo CD adapter. Upon doing this I could then install the external battery either a new one or customers supplied. Lenovos software would show battery level and tested as good but that the dc adapter was not sufficient for charging. Anyone out there have any knowledge on this issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2019, 08:09 AM   #2
- Microsoft Support
BSOD Kernel Dump Analyst

My System

Maybe a dual graphics notebook with malfunctioning main 3D card?
Old 04-05-2019, 06:21 AM   #3
Registered Member

OS: Asus Notebook Windows 10, 2-Customs Windows 7 Pro / Ubuntu

Send a message via Yahoo to LouMjr

Satrow Isnt that part of the motherboard?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2019, 10:17 AM   #4
- Microsoft Support
BSOD Kernel Dump Analyst

My System

Sometimes the 3rd party card is a daughterboard/plugin; it can often be disabled in the BIOS - lower power usage but lower video performance.

It feels like *something* is drawing way too much power, eg. switching out of Airplane mode might trigger a different Power Plan in Windows (Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options) - if that's a high/full power mode, it'll also switch over to the main 3D card.

If you can disable the 3D card in the BIOS, it might prevent Windows from 'seeing' the 3D card and trying to load it.
LouMjr likes this.