Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

Killing my video card?

This is a discussion on Killing my video card? within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. About 2 weeks ago I started to notice very choppy performance on my computer whenever a program was executed/during gameplay.

Closed Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 07:13 PM   #1

About 2 weeks ago I started to notice very choppy performance on my computer whenever a program was executed/during gameplay. Eventually, I booted up, and once the computer got to the windows xp desktop, the monitor went on standby and apparently the video card was not outputting anything, but it was on.
Now I assumed that my video card (6800) had mysteriously fried (no overclocking at all) , so I inserted my older video card (5500), and it's been running normal for about 2 weeks, until about 20 minutes ago the exact same symptoms started happening with my older card.

So i'm wondering, is my mobo or processor destroying my video card? What is happening and how can I fix this?

note: I do have a rather cheap ($28) 500wt power supply, maybe that has an interference?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2005, 09:41 PM   #2
I helped the forums.

OS: XP-Pro Sp2 & XP-Pro Sp2 Tablet Edition, Vista Ultimate, Win 7

My System

Hello and welcome to the forum....your right, no one should ever put a $28 psu in thier computer, and it could very well be the cause of your woes. I'd replace it irregardless with an appropriate unit from PC Power & Cooling, Antec, Fortron, Sparkle or Enermax. However, your symptoms sound like an overheating condition, run the computer with the side off and have a table fan blow into that side of the case, if the computer does not go blank you'll know heat was your problem....if it doesn't help, post back....list all your components like you see in my signature and we'll take it from there.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:10 PM   #3

:( I haven't had the side panel on since about 2 months ago. I strongly doubt it's overheating, there's no reason for it to without and form over running it harder than usual. I don't think it's overheating but I suppose the power supply is giving bad voltage. One of my friends thought that the motherboard/cpu was causing this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2005, 03:20 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Have you tried either of these 2 cards in another machine to see if they are actually fried? Maybe something in your machine is deteriorating to the point where it wont run either of these cards anymore.

The PSU is a prime suspect.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:58 PM   #5

Thanks barry i'll attempt that. I do have a 3 year old emachines that has a AMD athlon xp 2800+, so your decay theory is a definate possibility. I'm having a LAN party but it's too bad no one I know still has an AGP motherboard :/. I'm so yesterday. I'm hoping to get some new equipment during the holidays, but other than that I'm going to attempt to flash the bios.

I suppose my old motherboard could run a 5500 A lot better than a 6800.

But frankly, I tried an older PSU that gave me no troubles for 2 years, and the problem still went on when using the older one, would that make the PSU not a problem? Or can it have a long term effect?
Old 11-29-2005, 08:07 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Trying the boards in a different machine and seeing the result may lead us down a completely different path.

If they are damaged then we have the following dilemma.

Is the mobo damaged or was it the PSU?
Is it just a coincidence that both cards went bad?

You might want to check the mobo for damage, swollen or leaking capacitors etc.

The swapping of the PSU after the damage has already been done does not exclude the original PSU.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:31 PM   #7

Well they have the exact same symptoms, It seems extremely unlikely that they both would do that. I checked my motherboard and everything seems to be in order. So far the only possibilities I can think of is my CPU being unable to run a 6800. As a matter of fact, the lag is a lot slighter on a lower end video card, and also it seems to have "dissapaited" I guess. Don't seem to have any lag or very little than normal.

So Barry you're saying my power supply can affect my computer overall even after using a different one and it has a permanent long term affect? I didn't really get what you said.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:29 PM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xer0x
So Barry you're saying my power supply can affect my computer overall even after using a different one and it has a permanent long term affect? I didn't really get what you said.
Let me explain. lets say that the original PSU damaged something on the motherboard and it was that damage that caused the Video cards to exhibit this behavior. Then installing a new PSU would make no difference because the problem is now with the motherboard and the symptoms continue even with a new PSU.

Can you clear up a few things. You say that the lag has decreased, is this with the alleged 2nd bad video card and old PSU?

Not being able to run a hotter Video card may be due to lack of power, does it fail to boot?
Old 11-30-2005, 07:16 PM   #9

Oh well things have cleared up. I think the lag was just a temporary thing.

I'm using the potentially bad power supply right now with no problems so far. I'm on the 2nd video card that I used after the first one stopped working. My computer is running normally, I just need to figure out whether the 1st video card (potentially fried) is broken, or my mobo isn't able to run it, or not enough power. I'm going to run some more tests to get it back up.

This happened a while after I installed a new sound card. Could that be a problem?
Old 11-30-2005, 07:56 PM   #10

I inserted my 6800 and changed some settings in my BIOS, no luck, but when I turned on "check cpu and system fan" and rebooted, it gave me an error before loading that read "cpu fan failure, shutting down in 5 seconds".

I checked the bios, the fan is running at 4600 RPM's and It's running fine as I can see. It doesn't happen with the lower end video card. Is this because of a lack of power even to the mobo so it's unable to run the fan efficiently so it gives me an error?

Geez so many problems. Any suggestions besides buy a new computer?
Old 11-30-2005, 09:12 PM   #11
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Does the 6800 card show a display when you boot but then you get that error?

It sure sounds like a power issue.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:42 PM   #12

No it's ... I don't even know what to call it, like dos or something? Anyway it's right after my hard drive boots and makes the "beeping" noise. Either way it's a power problem.
Closed Thread