Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

Killed my Comp

This is a discussion on Killed my Comp within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Ok..so I screwed up it seems. I have been building computers for a long time now. I upgraded my rig

Closed Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 04:48 PM   #1
Registered Member

Ok..so I screwed up it seems. I have been building computers for a long time now. I upgraded my rig again and got a Intel Core i5 760 Quad Core Processor and a MSI P55A-G55 mobo..Also stuck a Corsair H70 cooler on it..I overclocked it and got 3500 mhz out of it without bumping the voltage so all was good..I tested it with a few dif things and all was fine..My idle temps were around 30 across the chip...anyway I decided to try prime95 ..temps went up to around 60 and was holding for about 10 mins or so and I got called out of the room..was away for maybe 15 mins and came back and have a faint smell of elec burn..anyway..The computer will not even try and fire now so I pulled the thing apart..I have no lights on the MOBO at all..no nic light no nothing..the fan will try and spool up only if I disconect the 8 pin CPU power and just barely try..I get no HDS trying to fire or anything and I have tried another Powersupply on the bench to the same effect..So my question is if the CPU is fried would nothing else do anything at all..Any thoughts ..if more info just ask
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2010, 04:58 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to Dblanchard1278 Send a message via Yahoo to Dblanchard1278

My guess would be that your psu is at fault, I know you said you tried another one but I'm sure the original one killed your board before it went out. Most likely due to the stress test pushing the psu to it's limits due to the upped power reqirements from the upgrade. what are the specs of the pc?
Brand and model:
CPU
Motherboard
Ram
Video card
Drives (dvd/hdd)
PSU (Brand, Model, and wattage)
Old 12-31-2010, 05:02 PM   #3
Registered Member

MSI P55A-G55 mobo.
460 geforce
Intel Core i5 760 Quad Core
1 dvd drive
8gigs corsair dominator..Will check that to see if its dead as I have means to do that..Dont have another intel board or chip but do have amd stuff..
3 hdd
And last but not least BFG 550 watt psu
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2010, 05:12 PM   #4
Registered Member

Im wondering though ..the PSU should be dead now though too shouldnt it,, If it still works then would that not rule out that Idea..Im really trying to avoind buying the wrong thing.,.If I have to buy all of it again then so be it and chalk it up to wisdom but I dont need the extra parts really if its just the cpu or just the MOBO..figs I have several AMD comps around here but this was the only 1156 socket
Old 12-31-2010, 08:13 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to Dblanchard1278 Send a message via Yahoo to Dblanchard1278

I doubt it is working properly, when it was pushed durring your stress test the psu over volted trying to provide enough power for your system. We recomend corsair and seasonic psu's for all our suggested systems because of the service and reliability the mfg's have. here check out this link here https://www.techsupportforum.com/f210...on-192217.html

If you have friend with computer's with simulair specs you can have then test your cpu and motherboard or a pc repair shop. You can check the ram if it is the same in the amd system e.g. ddr2 or ddr3. I would test the cpu first and if it works then it's your board and psu. You should be using a 650 watt quality psu from seasonic and corsair. When they say ov protection they mean it and it's better to replace one componet then be back here replacing two or more because that cheapie didn't die alone.
Old 01-01-2011, 10:10 AM   #6
Registered Member

unfortunatly I dont know anyone with a 1156 board to test crap with..I will take your advice and get a new PSU and then I am leaning to the MB first and check and see . Just wish I knew if there should be any lights on it without the cpu in it..I will check the ram shortly and post back ..if its ok maybe just the board is fried??..thanks for your posts back bud
Old 01-01-2011, 10:28 AM   #7
Emeritus

What configuration is the 8GB of RAM (2X4 or 4X2)?
Brand & Model of the PSU you tried as a replacement?
"IF" it is a good quality 550W minimum, use it to bench test. You can check the Mobo by removing ALL the RAM and listening for a single consistent beep. If you hear that beep the Mobo is probably OK.

Remove EVERYTHING from the case.
Set the motherboard on a non conductive surface. The motherboard box is perfect for this. DO NOT PLACE THE MOTHERBOARD ON THE STATIC BAG! It can actually conduct electricity!
Install the CPU and heat sink.
Install 1 stick of RAM.
Install the video card and attach the power supply connection(s) to the card if your card needs it.
Connect the monitor to the video card.
Connect the power supply to the motherboard with both the 24pin main ATX Power connection and the separate 4 or 8 pin power connection.
Connect power to the power supply.
Do NOT connect ANYTHING else. Make sure you have the power connector on the CPU fan connected.
Use a small screwdriver to momentarily short the power switch connector on the motherboard. Consult your motherboard manual to find which two pins connect to your case's power switch. Then touch both pins with a screwdriver to complete the circuit and boot the system.

If all is well, it should power up and you should get a display. Then assemble the parts into the case and try again. If the system now fails to boot, you have a short in the case and need to recheck your motherboard standoffs.

If the system does not boot after this process, then you most likely have a faulty component. You'll need to swap parts, start with the power supply, until you determine what is defective.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:41 AM   #8
Registered Member

have 4 sticks of corsair dominator ram and have a new mobo for the wifes comp and AMD cpu that all works so will throw that together and check the ram on it ..I have more ram for her as well and that board posts as of now as I checked it..Im just going to turf the PSU and get a Corsair like you said and then go from there but cant get that till monday as its new years holiday.. as that board will fire I know its more than just the psu with this board so will just get a new MB as well and say a little prayer though I expect I will be doing the CPU as well..Well post back soon with the ram result just so you know..thanks again bud..just love spending money after XMAS..good thing I got this old Comp I fired up to get on the net

check psu was is a mediapc mp-500..extra laying around the house,,Am redoing the old ladys today so will test with her PSU as well ..lets see what else I can blow up???
Old 01-01-2011, 12:06 PM   #9
Registered Member

..so fired up the AMD board with the same PSU and tried the ram out of the dead Comp and it all works fine..so the PSU still works and the ram so perhaps the CPU is fine as well and the MOBO is fried and it was nothing to do with the Prime test but just a faulty MB??
Old 01-01-2011, 01:01 PM   #10
Emeritus

If you find the Mobo to be faulty I would suggest an Asus or Gigabyte for a replacement.

Old 01-01-2011, 01:04 PM   #11
Registered Member

The MSI board was a bundle deal and they dont have any more so I will end up with something else and will lean towards a ASUS board I think..I pulled the cpu and It appears and smells fine as well..Will take the board back on MON as thats soonest they open..
Old 01-03-2011, 02:06 PM   #12
Registered Member

took the board back today and it was found it was bad..would not have thought Prime95 would toast the board but better now than later..ended up going with a Asus board this time..have it back together to the point I could check for a post beep and it works so the cpu was still fine...now to finish up and fire up prime again lol

thanks for the help guys
Closed Thread