Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

keyboard error or no keyboard present, AND CPU is unworkable!

This is a discussion on keyboard error or no keyboard present, AND CPU is unworkable! within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi - can anyone help? I have just installed a new dvd +/- RW after my daughter broke the previous

Closed Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 09:43 AM   #1

Hi - can anyone help?

I have just installed a new dvd +/- RW after my daughter broke the previous one. I used the same cables as were already installed in the pc and changed the jumper to master to match what was there previously. (I also have a dvd/cd read only as the slave).

WHen I went to start up the pc I kept getting an error message - keyboard error or no keyboard present. I kept tweaking the lead and tried again about 4 times and then an even worse message has come up on screen -
in addition to the keyboard error one I now get the CUP is unworkable or has been changed. Please recheck - CPU SOFT MENU.

I have looked at other forum posts but wonder what I can do to look at the BIOS etc if I cannot use my keyboard!

I have tried unplugging all the connectors to the new dvd drive incase it was anything to do with that, but it has not made any difference.

For the master/slave bit I get this message (with the dvd unplugged)

IDE Channel 0 Master Maxtor 6Y080L0 YAR41BWO
IDE Channel 0 Slave None
IDE Channel 1 Master None (although info is here if the dvd drive is plugged in)
IDE Channel 1 Slave DVD-ROM DDU1621 VER S3.1

The motherboard is ABIT IC7 and I have Intel Pentium 4

Any suggestions????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2005, 10:46 AM   #2
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

have you another k/b you can try

Old 09-06-2005, 11:07 AM   #3

unfortunately not.

Is this simply because I have tried to install the dvd drive (which I managed to do without problems a few months ago with the last one!) or is it even something like the battery gone that could have caused this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2005, 11:16 AM   #4
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

see if you can borrow a keyboard
check you have not dislodged a cable when fitting the dvd
try a cmos reset

Old 09-06-2005, 12:14 PM   #5

well, I have reset the CMOS and checked all cables etc and changed all the cables for the new dvd so that they are the ones that came with the kit. I now have a new message, CMOS checksum error defaults loaded. So still unsure where to go from here with that one.

I have found an old keyboard but it has the wrong sort of port ....
Old 09-06-2005, 12:18 PM   #6
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

see if the keyboard is working now and go into the bios and optimise it

Old 09-06-2005, 12:29 PM   #7

I still have the keyboard error so I will have to either test this keyboard on another computer tomorrow and/or borrow someones just to try on my computer. Thanks for your help so far much appreciated (what I love about computers is that there is always something new to learn - they are still very annoying when they go wrong tho!!!)
Old 09-06-2005, 12:33 PM   #8
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

cannot do much till we get the k/b working

Old 09-06-2005, 02:50 PM   #9

hurrah!!!!! Discovered that one of the PS2 pins was bent into another so doubling up into one of the socket holes - after tweezers and magnifying glasses we have managed to straighten it and so got the keyboard working again. I went into BIOS and pressed F7 to optimize settings and now - touch wood - all seems to be ok. THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP.
Closed Thread