Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

K8V-X don't boot HELP!!

This is a discussion on K8V-X don't boot HELP!! within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I am unable to boot my pc. I bought a barebones with a K8V-X mother board 3400 CPU. With 480

Closed Thread

Old 07-16-2005, 07:53 AM   #1

Red Faced

I am unable to boot my pc. I bought a barebones with a K8V-X mother board 3400 CPU. With 480 power supply. I first got a blue screen telling me that there was a problem and windows could not open. I took the hard drive and loaded a fresh window XP using another computer and now I get a black screen and no beeps. The only things that come on are the cd rom light, mother board light, fans, and the Hard drive is spinning. The Mouse & key board are dead and not monitor action. I have tested everything in a K8V SE Deluxe and everything works. I have used both working Radeon 9600 128MB & Geforce FX 5200 128MB and have used 2 Kingston KVR400X64C3A/512's.
The only thing that I think it could be is the mother board. What should I do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2005, 08:19 AM   #2

welcome to the forum
does the cpu fan spin?
the 4 pin molex connection is plugged in and secure...
remove 1 piece of memory..clear the cmos...and try again.
Old 07-16-2005, 08:49 AM   #3

THe CPU fan is spinning and I cleared the cmos but there has been no change. Also used all different configs with memory stick/s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2005, 06:35 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to linderman
Wink

Jul1:

Loading winxp while your harddrive is connected to a different computer does not work unless its the exact same brand, model etc motherboard between BOTH computers

When you bring your hard drive back to your computer and then try to boot from it / windows finds a mismatch of hardware / and wont boot :(

I would try deleting all partitions and logical drives using a WIN ME bootdisk and running the utility named FDISK / then reboot the computer and use fdisk again to make your partitions or logical drives (d,e,f,g etc) are logical drives (you can download Win ME bootdisk from bootdisk.com)

use the guide for reference
https://www.onecomputerguy.com/install/fdisk.htm

after you have your drive partitioned and boot partition set to "active" then you could try resetting your cmos (see your mobo manual on resetting CLRTC)

then trying booting from the winxp cd-rom and running the set-up

make sure your bios boot order is set to boot order as follows
1st = floppy drive
2nd = cd-rom drive
3rd = hard drive

prior to loading win xp

let us know is you have more questions

regarding

joe
Old 07-16-2005, 07:15 PM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

Hi,

So far you hava gotten good advice and I suggest that you follow the possible solutions. Also, since it did not boot in the first place, talk to us about what type of hard drive, what brand, how is it jumpered (unless a Sata), and where is it on the ribbon cable, and if there is anything else on the cable, and is it on IDE #1 or IDE #2 ??. All this is assuming that it is an IDE drive. Another area, are we to assume that you put the memory in the first and third slots, because that is the most common accepted method with most boards. If you use only one stick to test (which I recommend), then please read your manual, because many manufacturer's require that you put the stick in another dimm slot and not the first slot. Some I know of require that a single stick be in dimm 3 as an example.
Old 07-17-2005, 07:27 AM   #6

All this advice is greatly appreciated all the solutions, and I will try once I can get in. I took out the battery and let the computer sit over night to clear the cmos. THis morning I tried to get in again and I got nothing from the mother board. I can't use a start up disk because, although the motherboard's light is on, I am not getting any beeps, black screen, etc..
Old 07-17-2005, 07:43 AM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Wink

Jul1eb:

You must be patient and willing to try many things ! The problem you are experiencing can be a result of many factors. We will just starting workin on them one thing at a time.

The fact the computer will not even boot to a floppy drive suggests "things"

I would build the mobo outside the case / this is a practice I "always" perform when installing a motherboard into a case /

set-up your motherboard on a non-conductive surface / cardboard box is my personal favorite / then install the video card / check your mobo manual (important) to see which slot is needed to be occupied for single stick config (tumbleweed hit the nail on the head !!) then use you case on & off switch to power the motherboard jumper pins just like the manual states / its easiset if PSU is outside the case too !

I have found many times / that a poorly seated video card (clamp down not connected) will cause the no boot thing / hopefully you can also try a pci slot video card just as a variable reducer ??? I bought one from a PC shop for $5.00 / they are sooooo outdated they arent worth much but mine is invaluable to me when I get a cranky sytem to repair / it rules out video card problems or identifies the vid card as the culprit /

theres a good chance the system will fire right up / sounds like you have a mobo short ????? you may need isolation washers (plastic) or need to use the plastic standoffs ??

But remember / you arent gonna get a boot right into windows because the OS isnt gonna appreciate the 'strange" "hardware" environment is going to find / but you should be able to get all the way thru the bios screen and maybe into into a start-up disk if the boot order is set to floppy first - cd-rom drive 2nd & hard drive third

what kind and size hardrive ????? what brand of PSU ??????

let us know how you progress

regards

joe
Old 07-17-2005, 12:43 PM   #8
TSF Team, Emeritus

Hi,

I am not an Atta-boy poster, so don't want to copy linderman's excellent advice. However, I would like to emphasize that I also build out of the case a lot with the newer boards. If the thing just won't boot, that is where you need to start. With the results or lack of you are seeing, I would recommend that strategy.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:34 PM   #9

I took your advice and set up the mb outside of case and still got nothing.
I contacted the seller and he wants me to send the whole barebone tower back for him to check on my dime.

I know that the cpu is working, video card and memory. Can you tell me if checking it outside the case leads to a problem with the mb?
Old 08-01-2005, 04:24 PM   #10
TSF Enthusiast

My System

JUL:

If setting up and running your mobo outside the case could result in damage ~~ we wouldnt tell you to do it !!

The reason why we suggest ( and I do this with every system before i install into case) an outside of case build is to make sure you are not being subjected to a case ground problem / this happens to posters about 25% of the time a mobo wont post to the bios or acts erratic !!\

Now onto the main problem / what happens when you tried your Bench build ???? (outside of case ??) remember your system is not going to boot into windows because you loaded the OS while the hard drive was booted in another system !!!! that wont work :(

once you are able to see the bios screen complete during a bench build then you will need a hard drive prepared for OS install (that means put the hard drive back into the "other" computer and then run fdisk on it to remove all partitions and logical drives. You can get the fdisk utility from bbotdisk.com / use a Win ME boot disk as it can handle large drive support

here is a good link on how to use fdisk

https://www.onecomputerguy.com/install/fdisk.htm

let us know how you progress / ask more questions if needed ~~ dont let the leeches (your computer shop) suck on you until its a last resort or you lose patience The computer shop I partime work at is very willing to show new computer lovers where they went wrong as long as the parts were bought from us !! Too bad yours doesnt have the same philosophy we all must learn from scratch !!

regards

joe
Closed Thread