Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

Is my motherboard dead?

This is a discussion on Is my motherboard dead? within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I recently decided to upgrade my computer by getting a new PSU, graphics card, and case. It worked for a

Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 04:13 PM   #1
Registered Member

My System

I recently decided to upgrade my computer by getting a new PSU, graphics card, and case. It worked for a while, then my monitor displayed "No signal." My graphics card's fan started spinning as fast as it goes, and the computer's power light went off, but the hard drive light was solid. Neither the power or reset buttons did anything, so the only way to turn it off was to flip the switch on the power supply. I was able to fix it for a few days by reseating the power connections on the video card, but now it's happening again and I can't fix it. I'm thinking it's the motherboard because of the lights and power buttons not responding. Here are my specs:

Motherboard: Biostar TA780G-M2+ (cheap)
CPU: AMD Phenom x4 9600
RAM: 2x2GB Corsair XMS2 800MHz
GFX: Galaxy GeForce GTS-250 512MB (this is the new card. outdated, but cheap with good performance)
PSU: Corsair TX650
Case: Cooler Master Elite 430

Another possibility I was thinking was the graphics card overheating, since I read other posts with this issue, but I would think the power and reset buttons would work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2011, 04:20 PM   #2
Sr. Tech, TSF Team Emeritus Microsoft Support Staff

My System

Take out the new card and revert to your onboard and see if it still does it.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:33 PM   #3
Networking Team |Tech

Hi stargazer418,

You can also try testing out a spare monitor but I have a feeling that the problem lies on the new video card you purchase.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2011, 08:06 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

Can you swap the old video card in there to give it a try?
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Third motherboard - PC still not working
Hello, my problem began when I decided to build my first PC a little over a year ago (Dec. 2009): ASUS P7P55D EVO Motherboard Intel Core i5 750 CPU Nvidia GeForce GTX 275 Video card 2 x 2GB Team Group Xtreem PC3-12800 DDR3 1600MHz 1.65v RAM 1 TB Western Digital Caviar Black HD Cooler Master...
birdman-05 Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU 4 03-10-2011 11:35 AM
[SOLVED] Dead BIOS, replace BIOS chip or new motherboard?
I recently tried to fix an old laptop (Toshiba) and to do so, I needed to do a BIOS upgrade. I downloaded the new BIOS flash files on another laptop, my new laptop (Acer Aspire 7520G with Vista Home Premium, 32-bit). The problem started when I tried to burn the files to a cd to transfer them to the...
deleted11022011 Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU 3 02-06-2011 08:57 AM
Will this motherboard support windows 7 not sure
Hi there all i have just bought a new motherboard for my pc to replace the one that just died and i have bought this motherboard a GIGABYTE GA-M565-S3 here GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket AM2 - GA-M56S-S3 (rev. 1.x) and one the driver page it says it only has the audio drivers for windows 7 32 &...
thecritta Driver Support 1 01-29-2011 08:44 PM
help new motherboard not detecting keyboard properly
Hi there i have just gone out an bought a new motherboard for my pc which is amd amd athlon dual core 64 bit processor the motherboard is a GIGABYTE GA-M56S-S3 now everything boots up fine and it even gives me the dual boot option because i have an old sata hard drive with windows already...
thecritta Other Hardware Support 2 01-29-2011 06:36 PM
Is my Motherboard Dead
Hi, someone gave us a computer that was not working anymore, and since I like to play around with them a bit I thought I'd try and see if I could get it working. I've put a new PSU on it and a good working video card, and good RAM. When I plug it in, and flick the switch at the back the power...
computersrkool Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU 2 01-14-2011 09:09 AM