Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

User Tag List

Is my ASUS-ROG Laptop running too hot?

This is a discussion on Is my ASUS-ROG Laptop running too hot? within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. When I place my hand on the metal palm rests on the left & right of the mouse pad it

Closed Thread

Old 07-30-2019, 12:36 AM   #1
Registered Member

When I place my hand on the metal palm rests on the left & right of the mouse pad it seems to be too hot to the touch. Its generally room temp or cooler. I got an app called SpeedFan & have it running now. I just have a browser open with some tabs. I have Skype & email working but that's it. I'm not streaming video or playing any games. I've been having issues with the laptop for awhile. It seems to run slow. I might need to switch to a SSD at some point but I'm curious if my CPUs are running to hot & if my fan is working properly. Can someone tell me if these numbers look right or wrong?

ASUS-ROG-G551JW

i7-4720HQ 2.6GThz

CPU running between 2%-15%

Fan speed= 1800 rpm

HDD (green check mark) = 42C

Temp1 (flame icon) = 55C

CPU-0 (flame icon) = 55C

CPU-1 (flame icon) = 53C

CPU-2 (flame icon) = 52C

CPU-3 (flame icon) = 54C

I'm not sure what the icons mean as there was no instructions. I would think flames means they are running hot but could just be category icons.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2019, 09:22 AM   #2
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

54c is cool for a laptop, but speedfan has not been the most reliable software.
Try the free program Hardware monitor(use the ZIP version) from CPUz or Belarc advisor

Do you hear/feel the fan running?
Old 07-30-2019, 10:15 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks for the feedback. I'll try that Hardware Monitor & see what it says. It seems like the heat is just around the palm rest & mouse pad area. I'm not sure if it matters but I'm not using AC on my office & it's probably 80F in here. If the fan is running I can barely if at all feel it or hear it. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2019, 10:33 AM   #4
Registered Member

Here is what I got from CPUID program: See attachment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CPUID data..PNG
Views:	9
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	324054  
Old 07-30-2019, 02:28 PM   #5
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

You're real close to where mine is running sitting here in a/c around 74f, 72c is not that hot for the mobile platform. If you feel that the air flow is less then it once was then a disassembly and good cleaning of the fan assembly will be needed.

Here's mine.
Click image for larger version

Name:	hwm.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	324058
Old 07-30-2019, 06:30 PM   #6
Registered Member

Okay that is good to know the temps I'm getting are not out of range. I just couldn't find any reliable data on how hot the ASUS ROG should be running.
Thanks!
Old 08-01-2019, 12:21 AM   #7
Hardware Tech Team

My System

Typically with gaming laptops and I do have extensive experience with them is that the heat, caused by the smaller enclosure coupled with the mid to higher tier laptop GPU will last about 2-3 years max before needing to be disassembled, cleaned and re-greased. It depends on the internals of the laptop, and the quality of the build with how the OEM used quality grease and spread the grease correctly on the GPU-CPU fan assemblies.
Old 08-04-2019, 02:54 AM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYKrumrie View Post
When I place my hand on the metal palm rests on the left & right of the mouse pad it seems to be too hot to the touch. Its generally room temp or cooler. I got an app called SpeedFan & have it running now. I just have a browser open with some tabs. I have Skype & email working but that's it. I'm not streaming video or playing any games. I've been having issues with the laptop for awhile. It seems to run slow. I might need to switch to a SSD at some point but I'm curious if my CPUs are running to hot & if my fan is working properly. Can someone tell me if these numbers look right or wrong?

ASUS-ROG-G551JW

i7-4720HQ 2.6GThz

CPU running between 2%-15%

Fan speed= 1800 rpm

HDD (green check mark) = 42C

Temp1 (flame icon) = 55C

CPU-0 (flame icon) = 55C

CPU-1 (flame icon) = 53C

CPU-2 (flame icon) = 52C

CPU-3 (flame icon) = 54C

I'm not sure what the icons mean as there was no instructions. I would think flames means they are running hot but could just be category icons.

Thanks!
Ithappens to me too. I also have ASUS from 1 year and no problem appeared tho. No need to worry
Old 08-06-2019, 08:55 PM   #9
Registered Member

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you all. I noticed when I was in a properly AC cooled room the temp #'s went down drastically. They would go from the 80's C to the mid 30's C. So the heat issue was probably environmental on my part. Thanks for all your help!!
Closed Thread