Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

Is installing a new CPU with the same specs as the old one OK?

This is a discussion on Is installing a new CPU with the same specs as the old one OK? within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. So I broke some pins on my olds CPU while I was doing some cleaning (don't ask me how or

Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 10:09 PM   #1
Registered Member

So I broke some pins on my olds CPU while I was doing some cleaning (don't ask me how or why) and now my CPU is unusable. I'm planning on buying the same type of CPU with the same specs to replace it. Will that work? I'm asking this because I tried replacing the busted CPU with one that has the same number of pins but different specs (broken one is a penguin 4, and I tried to replace it with a celeron) but it doesn't work. So I don't know if this will work or not and just wanted to ask...

Thanks everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2011, 10:44 PM   #2
MPR
TSF Enthusiast

Go to to the manufacturer's website for your motherboard or computer (if it's a pre-built system), there you should find a list of compatible processors.

Make sure that you didn't damage the CPU socket while removing the CPU and cleaning your computer. Also, carefully follow instructions regarding installing a CPU, applying thermal compound, and attaching a heat-sink.

If you need further assistance, post the make and model of your computer and/or the make and model of your motherboard.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:40 PM   #3
Emeritus

If the new CPU is exactly the same model as the old one you should not have any issues.

Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BSOD: BCCode 50
I'm experiencing bluescreens every 2 - 5 days with BCCode 50. I followed your recommendation using Driver Verifier and encountered a bluescreen on re-boot. Attached .dmp file was created. Will appreciate your assistance to resolve the issue. Thanks!
terrgood BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs 7 06-04-2011 04:26 AM
BSOD atikmpag.sys
Good Day people at Tech Support Forum. I have a BSOD problem which I need some help on. My PC is about 3 months old and the BSOD problem is as old as my PC is. Brief Description of problem: PC tend to crash randomly. The screen hangs, then turn black (for about 2s) then the BSOD shows up....
water24 BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs 2 05-29-2011 03:48 AM
I need full specs for all CPU upgrades please
CAN someone please reply w/ all possible CPU upgrades for a dell inspiron 1000 . Which one is best?? I need the full cpu specs and description w/ socket type please. I plenty of cpu's out there, most w a partial desprition. CAN someone also please tell me the exact socket # for my dell.Full...
vintagecollect Laptop Support 3 04-22-2011 07:17 AM
CPU Fan Loud
I'm sorry if this is not the right place, but I have no idea where to put this. So, I've had this computer for about 2 years now, and recently the computer has been making some loud noises. Starting yesterday, the computer's been making very worrying buzzing noises. Through a variety of...
orionstar Overclocking 13 03-15-2011 05:59 AM