Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

User Tag List

Intel 6 Core Cpu Freezes Doing One Task

This is a discussion on Intel 6 Core Cpu Freezes Doing One Task within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I guess I am so very frustrated today so I can't think straight and I need someone to tell me

Like Tree2Likes
Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2019, 07:39 AM   #1
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

I guess I am so very frustrated today so I can't think straight and I need someone to tell me what I am missing here. I have a laptop hard drive plugged in via usb adapter (see below) to my desktop trying to see a 320 Gb Hitachi hard drive that admittedly is dead but here is what is bothering me. I am using "Recover my Files" newest version to try to recover pictures and documents and with an Intel 6 core 8700K i7 cpu, 16 Gb 3200 speed Ddr4 ram, M2.2 Samsung Ssd drive, why is my whole system concentrating every single effort to opening the dead drive to the point I cannot do anything else. I can't even open Speccy for goodness sake. If I was sitting here with Windows 98 and a single core cpu, 500 meg ram, and a 10 gb ide hard drive, there would be no difference in system performance so what does all this memory and all the cores really mean or what settings have I missed so I can really multi task for real in Windows 10?
adapter:
https://www.amazon.com/Drive-Adapter...a-572925725652

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2019, 08:21 AM   #2
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team

Just curious....what usb port are you connecting adapter to PC?
Old 10-10-2019, 08:42 AM   #3
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Any chance you have Auto AV on?

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2019, 12:47 PM   #4
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

I have tried front and back usb ports.
I tried shutting off all antimalware programs too, failed to mention that.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 10-10-2019, 02:06 PM   #5
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

I've seen faulty hard drives slow a PC down before but I wonder if this is the program calling more threads?
Old 10-11-2019, 05:12 AM   #6
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

Well true that a really bad hard drive attached to a perfectly running system can cause all kinds of system interference and slowdown, I just wonder why all the advances in technology and the ability of newer versions of Windows to multitask haven't conquered this problem is all or is it "Recover my Files" just demanding every resource to complete the impossible task is all. And if that's the case is there any setting that would make a different outcome is all.

Old 10-11-2019, 05:44 AM   #7
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Just a stab, but in the power options of the app, try "Balanced" rather than High Performance".
vanukuru.vinod likes this.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 10-11-2019, 06:25 AM   #8
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

Very interesting thought Rick.

Old 10-15-2019, 05:52 AM   #9
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

That's a Windows issue, at least in my experience and varies based on the actual fault with the drive. Windows is waiting for the drive to respond and won't do anything else. Hardware response seems to have priority.

Any MS gurus feel free say otherwise. I've seen this before in similar scenarios. I have better results using an internal dock and thus connecting by SATA, as opposed to using USB (issues seems much worse with USB). So maybe it's a USB issue and not just hardware as I stated above.

Old 10-15-2019, 02:45 PM   #10
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

Jim I failed to mention I was so aggravated I actually connected it to a sata port as well. I still think you are probably right that it is a Windows issue.

Old 10-15-2019, 10:31 PM   #11
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

I bet it's got something, if not everything, to do with system interrupts. I agree that perhaps Microsoft could do better engineering of Windows to at least make sure the whole system is not crippled in performance by a single point of failure. As it is, it seems ALL hardware interrupts are handled by a single subsystem!
Old 10-16-2019, 08:10 AM   #12
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

I guess that is my point too Stan as for all the marvelous changes Windows has made since Windows 98 all the way to Windows 10 then why is it a single bad piece of hardware can still cripple an OS and the other thing still true is that many years ago Microsoft made a decision between Firewire and Usb ports for expansion and yet 6 operating systems later we still can freeze a system with multiple usb hard drives simply by plugging in one more. And that could never happen with 1394 drives as they daisy chain easily and never interfere with OS.

Old 10-19-2019, 03:33 PM   #13
Hardware Tech Team

My System

How did your system actually Freeze? was it a hard lock or just a slow down? How did you monitor your cores and sytem activity during the recover process?
Old 10-19-2019, 06:30 PM   #14
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

It started off as a slowdown but eventually everything was frozen and I could not do anything else. I actually couldn't monitor anything because system was completely frozen.

Old 10-19-2019, 06:46 PM   #15
Hardware Tech Team

My System

That sounds like you have a system stability issue or maybe it was hung on your USB port (USB error). When you built the system did you stress test for overall stability with prime95/OCCT or AIDA64? Could also have been a one-off with the SATA adaptor/USB setup did you try another USB port? About an hour ago I tested Recover My Files V.6 at the same time stressing with AIDA64 stress test and had no issues at all opening Speccy or other programs. There was a hint of lag but not much but that's expected as it's querying a lot of files on the target recovery drive.
Old 10-19-2019, 07:02 PM   #16
Hardware Tech Team

My System

Just ran it once again

Old 10-20-2019, 02:33 AM   #17
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpareChange View Post
That sounds like you have a system stability issue or maybe it was hung on your USB port (USB error). When you built the system did you stress test for overall stability with prime95/OCCT or AIDA64? Could also have been a one-off with the SATA adaptor/USB setup did you try another USB port? About an hour ago I tested Recover My Files V.6 at the same time stressing with AIDA64 stress test and had no issues at all opening Speccy or other programs. There was a hint of lag but not much but that's expected as it's querying a lot of files on the target recovery drive.
Quote:
Just ran it once again

Looks like you completely ignored or overlooked the dying hard drive in question, and the fact that it has also been connected to a SATA port internally.
Old 10-20-2019, 02:35 AM   #18
Hardware Tech Team

My System

Nope. Hence why I mentioned trying another USB port. I have 5x of the same type USB to SATA connectors you want me to try any one of those?

easy
Old 10-20-2019, 02:44 AM   #19
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Nope. Hence why I mentioned trying another USB port. I have 5x of the same type USB to SATA connectors you want me to try any one of those?

easy
It's not your system or accessories that are in question here. It is Rich-M's and the issue is that a dying hard drive locks up his system as Windows focuses resources on trying to access the bad drive. Remove the drive in question and the lockups are not experienced, so what exactly will you running Recover My Files V.6 on YOUR system do? The problem is not Recover My Files V.6, but the way Windows is handling the dead/dying disk. I replaced a client's bad disk about a week ago, so I should know exactly what Rich-M is describing.
Old 10-20-2019, 02:47 AM   #20
Hardware Tech Team

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stancestans View Post
It's not your system or accessories that are in question here. It is Rich-M's and the issue is that a dying hard drive locks up his system as Windows focuses resources on trying to access the bad drive. Remove the drive in question and the lockups are not experienced, so what exactly will you running Recover My Files V.6 on YOUR system do? The problem is not Recover My Files V.6, but the way Windows is handling the dead/dying disk. I replaced a client's bad disk about a week ago, so I should know exactly what Rich-M is describing.
I get it thanks Stans. It's a Dying HD that is in question and that is the reason that the 6c/12t is freezing. Consider this thread closed. I am enlightened.
Closed Thread