Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

installing a faster processeer, now it wont even turn on???

This is a discussion on installing a faster processeer, now it wont even turn on??? within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have 2 semi identical emachine computers both with celleron processers. one has a a 600mhz and the other has

Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 08:30 PM   #1

I have 2 semi identical emachine computers both with celleron processers. one has a a 600mhz and the other has a 466mhz. both are basiclly identical until we cracked it open to visualy scan motherboards. the 600 does not have any black rails for upgrades while the 466 has 2 black rails for upgrades. i figured i could switch the two processers to make use of the upgradable motherbord and have the faster processer. after i installed the (600) processer,the computer turns on and shuts back down.Am I supposed 2 change something in bios or what? please help we just learned how to go thru dos,format hard drive,intall 98 and upgrade to 2000nt. (on the 6oomhz) then relized the sound wasnt working,so i got a sound card,went to install it on a black rail and there wasnt any (black rails) on the 600.The question is why wouldnt my onboard sound card work with 2000nt when it worked fine with xp. now im gonna install another sound card just to concour this little problem and theres no upgrade black rails....so maby switch processers to the more upgradable motherbord and it wont even boot up. why cant i just be a computer genious...just when i think ive done it ,turns out ive just overlooked something else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2006, 05:35 AM   #2

to be honest i wouldn't bother changing the processers around when you are only talking about 133MHz being the difference. it's too small to notice. as for the black rails i guess these are ISA slots. these are obsolete and it is the PCI (white) that most expansion cards are manufactured for.

i'm not sure what you have done with the sound card. you said that one has on board sound that was working until you changed the OS from XP to Win2K. what could be wrong here is drivers need to be installed for win2k to work the onboard sound. because there are no ISA slots on the 600 mobo, probably means that it is a more modern mobo than the 433 one.

anyway a little more info on the mobos would help, if you insist on swapping the CPU's.
Old 01-05-2006, 07:39 PM   #3

Most MOBO's for cpu upgrade require jumpers. If you didn't do any switching of jumpers, that could be an issue.
But Freddyhard is correct, I haven't seen an ISA slot on any machine worth spending money on for upgrades and changes.
Closed Thread