Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

User Tag List

Installed a new cpu, computer wont boot.

This is a discussion on Installed a new cpu, computer wont boot. within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Ok, basically today my new cpu arrived and i'd tried installing it, after putting it in, checking everything was done

Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 09:24 AM   #1
Registered Member

Ok, basically today my new cpu arrived and i'd tried installing it, after putting it in, checking everything was done right I went to boot up and all i would get is the power supply turning on and the cpu fan running and thats it.

I've tried literally everything, ive done the bench test, i thought it may have been a psu problem so went out and bought a new one, nothing.

I'm using an MSI motherboard with 4gb ram, nvidia 9500 gt, the new cpu i had tried installing is a AMD Athlon II X4 640 Socket AM3 3GHz.

Also, after it failing to boot with this cpu in, i'd tried using my old cpu and have exactly the same problem, yet it was working perfectly fine before i tried to install the newest cpu.

Any help would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2011, 09:55 AM   #2
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

Perform the bench test again with the old cpu installed: https://www.techsupportforum.com/foru...em-262998.html

Aside from that, as the most basic test is motherboard/cpu and power supply, it is most likely a faulty motherboard.

Old 01-28-2011, 10:29 AM   #3
Registered Member

Just bench tested with the previous motherboard, same problem.
Would that mean it is a motherboard fault?
I'm quite new to buying motherboards, is there anyway to check before i buy one, that its definatly compatible with the new cpu etc?
Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2011, 11:20 AM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

Are you certain you have the Heatsink snapped clear down in? If one of the legs is up and not clear down tight, it could cause what you are seeing. I am also assuming that you cleaned off the old thermal paste and reapplied new paste when you changed the CPU.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:22 AM   #5
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

You can find CPU support lists on the manufacturers spec page for the respective board. It will also name the BIOS version required.
Closed Thread