Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

User Tag List

i7-7700 with Stock Cooler

This is a discussion on i7-7700 with Stock Cooler within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Good day TSF! I have an i7-7700 (Non-K) which ran over 80+C with just playing CS:Go. I am afraid that

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SpareChange
Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 05:30 PM   #1
Registered Member

My System

Send a message via Skype™ to xtechnouser

Good day TSF!

I have an i7-7700 (Non-K) which ran over 80+C with just playing CS:Go. I am afraid that I doubt it hits it Tjunction but my computer did not turned off, it just go so hot on the chassis. Did I ruin the lifespan of the processor?

Does the system do countermeasures like thermal throttling to prevent damage to the processor? I did not monitor the actual temperature, but I think it is more than 80C.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2019, 05:57 PM   #2
Registered Member

My System

Additional Information: I just played one round of Deathmatch Mode, which is approximately, around 6-8 min.
Old 04-15-2019, 07:11 PM   #3
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

What heatsink are you using?

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2019, 07:15 PM   #4
Registered Member

My System

I am using the stock Intel heatsink sir. However, should I come to a conclusion that the heatsinks of Intel differ in thickness? Likewise, the heatsink of Intel Core i7-7700 is much thicker than i3-7100? Because, I am using the Intel heatsink of i3-7100.
Old 04-15-2019, 07:30 PM   #5
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

I would just bet one of the pins is not all the way through the motherboard.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 04-15-2019, 07:33 PM   #6
Registered Member

My System

The fan is spinning around >3000rpm sir.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:29 AM   #7
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtechnouser View Post
The fan is spinning around >3000rpm sir.
That's because the temperature is very high. Now check and confirm that the heatsink is firmly in place and ALL four pins/clips are snug as Rich-M suggested.
Old 04-16-2019, 01:27 AM   #8
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

I'd agree with Rich as well, a remove and reseat of the CPU may not be a bad idea...

Old 04-16-2019, 05:32 AM   #9
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stancestans View Post
That's because the temperature is very high. Now check and confirm that the heatsink is firmly in place and ALL four pins/clips are snug as Rich-M suggested.
I configured that the fan should spin at its maximum rpm sir. I already reseated the heatsink.
Old 04-16-2019, 05:50 AM   #10
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

You reseated it but did you pull the board and make sure the pins are all the way through as it sounds like one is not and with 3 fastened properly without pulling the board and looking at the bottom it is impossible to tell.
That said the stock Intel heatsink is a bit flimsy and I have seen many bad ones come new in a box. This heatsink is really good quality definitely sufficient for an i7.
https://tinyurl.com/y33c25vp
Also when you reseated it did you also put fresh grease on the cpu?

Old 04-16-2019, 11:03 PM   #11
Hardware Tech Team

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtechnouser View Post
Good day TSF!

I have an i7-7700 (Non-K) which ran over 80+C with just playing CS:Go. I am afraid that I doubt it hits it Tjunction but my computer did not turned off, it just go so hot on the chassis. Did I ruin the lifespan of the processor?

Does the system do countermeasures like thermal throttling to prevent damage to the processor? I did not monitor the actual temperature, but I think it is more than 80C.

That's about right for a 7700 model with the stock HSF. Even though it's a quad with HT, that particular chip will get hot with the stock HSF under gaming or editing load -- about 82-85c is common with gaming and 90c+ coming with editing with a stock fan. Part of it is how intel didn't use the proper pasting / soldering that did with I5-I7 2400-2500 2600 through the 3*** series Ivy Bridge chips. After that with the Haswell, then moving on to Devils Canyon (same chip basically), and from there the mainboard manufacturers did a "catch all" stock default bump voltage for both power reasons, and also the heat associated with it but what it does for stability is also creates more heat with the voltage. It with was with all H-B-Z series boards and default voltage setting. What many didn't know, and still don't know, is that you can, and definitely should lower voltage to the 1.2 ~ 1.295 area (until you find your sweet spot) with a slight offset to get proper temperatures when you're running any stock fan or similar. You can do this with all Z series boards, and some H, and a few B series boards. This is also good if you're using any other type of air cooler, and it also applies to the 8700-8700k series processor. I notice that the techsupport forums build list does have an 8700k listed with a Hyper 212 cooler as recommended, but you really only want to run that configuration with a 6c/12t if you know how to get your voltage and offset down thereby reducing the operating temperature deltas.

*Note- 82c will NOT cause your processor to throttle you will very likely be "ok" for most if not all games so don't get too worried here. The processor will definitely throttle if you do any hardworking video editing after about 30 minutes. Example if you run Prime 95 blend with a stock heat sink fan on your i7 7700 it will soon hit about 95c which is about when your system will begin to throttle
Rich-M likes this.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:17 PM   #12
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpareChange View Post
That's about right for a 7700 model with the stock HSF. Even though it's a quad with HT, that particular chip will get hot with the stock HSF under gaming or editing load -- about 82-85c is common with gaming and 90c+ coming with editing with a stock fan. Part of it is how intel didn't use the proper pasting / soldering that that did with I5-I7 2400-2500 2600 though the 3*** series Ivy Bridge chips. After that with the Haswell, then moving on to Devils Canyon (same chip basically), and from there the mainboard manufacturers did a "catch all" stock default bump voltage for both power reasons, and also the heat associated with it but what it does for stability is also creates more heat with the voltage. It with was with all H-B-Z series boards and default voltage setting. What many didn't know, and still don't know, is that you can, and definitely should lower voltage to the 1.2 ~ 1.295 area (until you find your sweet spot) with a slight offset to get proper temperatures when you're running any stock fan or similar. You can do this with all Z series boards, and some H, and a few B series boards. This is also good if you're using any other type of air cooler, and it also applies to the 8700-8700k series processor. I notice that the techsupport forums build list does have an 8700k listed with a Hyper 212 cooler as recommended, but you really only want to run that configuration with a 6c/12t if you know how to get your voltage and offset down thereby reducing the operating temperature deltas.

*Note- 82c will NOT cause your processor to throttle you will very likely be "ok" for most if not all games so don't get too worried here. The processor will definitely throttle if you do any hardworking video editing after about 30 minutes. Example if you run Prime 95 blend with a stock heat sink fan on your i7 7700 it will soon hit about 95c which is about when your system will begin to throttle
I see sir. I will just manage to buy a more decent air cooler, not that of Hyper 212 Evo, not enough budget.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:18 PM   #13
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-M View Post
You reseated it but did you pull the board and make sure the pins are all the way through as it sounds like one is not and with 3 fastened properly without pulling the board and looking at the bottom it is impossible to tell.
That said the stock Intel heatsink is a bit flimsy and I have seen many bad ones come new in a box. This heatsink is really good quality definitely sufficient for an i7.
https://tinyurl.com/y33c25vp
Also when you reseated it did you also put fresh grease on the cpu?
Yes sir, I saw that all 4 pins of the cooler are properly seated at the back of the motherboard. Well, that's a good Intel HSF, I only have a thin one, hehe.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:24 PM   #14
Hardware Tech Team

My System

You will be fine with your stock fan for just gaming purposes. A bit hot yes, but a long way from throttling. Consider something like a DEEPCOOL GAMMAXX 300. It will be only a few degrees off of a Hyper 212

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16835856006

It does use standard Intel pushpins for installation as well.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:26 PM   #15
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpareChange View Post
You will be fine with your stock fan for just gaming purposes. A bit hot yes, but a long way from throttling. Consider something like a DEEPCOOL GAMMAXX 300. It will be only a few degrees off of a Hyper 212

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16835856006

It does use standard Intel pushpins for installation as well.
I will note it sir. Thank you!
Old 04-17-2019, 04:31 AM   #16
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

Great thought DeepCool GammaMax is an excellent heatsink usually at great prices.

Old 04-18-2019, 07:51 AM   #17
Registered Member

My System

I am now averaging 65 C on CS:Go, unfortunately, the local shop has only the Cooler Master T2 Mini, I have no choice. Hehe.
Old 04-18-2019, 08:45 AM   #18
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

Have you tried Amazon for Gammamax cooler?

Closed Thread