Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

I need help building a pc!

811 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Amd_Man 
#1 ·
I have a question. I have a compaq presariro desktop and I ordered a new motherboard on a site called computerpartsdirect.us on 8/21/10 and i got in on 8/24/10 the combo kit was a fic k8mc51g board with amd anthlon 64 2.2ghz processor 754 socket. I put it all together, and now there is no video on the monitor. I also have a 200 gigabyte hard drive, 2 cd drives, and 1 floppy drive. I also have windows xp on it. It also has a 115 watt power supply. It has a 20pin power and the motherboard has 24pin power. I tried to upgrade the ram to it before when it went bad back in 2007 and i added ddr2 1gb ram to it, but it was my mistake. Please help me!

#5 ·
I said my motherboard is a fic k8mc51g motherboard and the cpu that came with it is a amd anthlon 64 2.2ghz processor 754 socket. The video card is built on the system. The hard drive is a 200 gigabyte 7400 rpm. My ram is ddr 400 512mb. My power supply is a 115 watt i said yesterday. It powered up my other motherboard just fine went it got bad in 2007, and now i have no motherboard now. And when i get the motherboard back Then i will get the 20 pin to 24 pin adapter for the power supply. I also thought that you can put a 20 pin in a 24 pin in the motherboard from this site http://www.smps.us/20-to-24pin-atx.html

#6 ·
Adapters are never a good idea and 115W PSU, particularly one that is 3 yrs. old. is certainly not suitable for any newer hardware. I would suggest a good quality 550W.

#7 ·
The new motherboard needs more power than that 115 watt psu can deliver, for starters the psu you have has 20 pins for the main power connector. You need a 24 pin power connector to provide enough power and a converter or adapter will just strain the psu causing it to over volt componets. Your best option is to get a new psu with a 24 pin power connector, a 400 watt corsair or seasonic will run that set up just fine. If you want to add a video card then I would suggest a 650 watt psu, corsair and seasonic are known for their reliability and cutomer service so that is why I recomend them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.