Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

User Tag List

I cant load into bios or any of the other f(X) menus

This is a discussion on I cant load into bios or any of the other f(X) menus within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Some context: I have a gigabyte motherboard and recently I wanted to restore a system image of my old drive,

Closed Thread

Old 12-22-2018, 07:33 PM   #1
Registered Member

Mistake

Some context:
I have a gigabyte motherboard and recently I wanted to restore a system image of my old drive, pretty easy I was smart enough to get an external and back everything up, but there's a small problem, as I select image backup from the repair system menu, its says i need to put in my windows 8 disc or windows repair disc in order to retrieve my back up. Whatever, y'know it's fine, so I download the x64 iso (it is a x64 based processor) and burn it to a disc and everythings all honky dory, except one major issue:

Problem time:
I cannot load into bios, the boot menu,or any of the other options displayed on the motherboard screen as when i press any of the keys the pc makes a noise at me (see below) and seems to actually follow through, until it just loads into a black screen with a flashing white line in the top left of the screen

Actual helpful info:
whenever i press any key during the initial startup my pc (dont know which part) makes a kinda-disc-writy for every input of the key, so for example if i hold down a it will start sounding like a very small chainsaw trying to start up.
The drive is empty, and I don't have access to a windows product key and have instead copy pasted a default key that only allowed me to install a trial version of windows in the first place (from a usb drive, would use but system image restore requires that i use a disc)

Thanks I dont know how to fix this whatsoever my room my hair and my face are in shambles from how frustrated I got trying to fix this and im just so done
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2018, 02:36 AM   #2
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Welcome to TSF!

Clarify the following for me:
-Are you trying to restore the system image backup onto a new HDD or SSD replacement for the old hdd?

Quote:
The drive is empty
-Which drive exactly? The HDD/SSD, DVD drive, USB flash drive???

Quote:
allowed me to install a trial version of windows in the first place
-Is that Windows installation still on the HDD/SSD and able to start, i.e, successfully boots to the Desktop or Start screen?

Quote:
from a usb drive, would use but system image restore requires that i use a disc
-No, that's not true. It doesn't have to be a disc. You can use a bootable Windows 8/8.1 installation USB flash disk to access the System Image Recovery option. IF Windows is able to start, you don't even need to boot from any removable media, you can simply load the Advanced Startup Options from the Settings app or by holding down Shift while restarting (press and hold down the Shift key, click Restart and continue holding down the Shift key until the Advanced Startup Options appear).
Closed Thread