Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

I am at a loss for words.

This is a discussion on I am at a loss for words. within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi everyone, i recently built my first pc and everything seems to be going fine; until a few days ago.

Closed Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 09:25 AM   #1

Hi everyone, i recently built my first pc and everything seems to be going fine; until a few days ago. When my case is standing upright my cpu process jumps to the high 90-100 and stays there and my pc becomes very sluggish. However when i tip my pc on its side(window facing up as though i was going to work on it) it goes back to normal and my pc runs fine. There doesn't seem to be anything under the mobo or a faulty part. I also tried unplugging my keyboard and mouse to no avail. I pretty much ruled out a virus unless its attacking my pc's onboard gyroscope. My specs are as follows

Athlon 3500
MSI NEO 4 platinum
1 gig of corsair
geforce 6800 GS
Raidmax Aurora 580 Watt PSU
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2005, 09:27 AM   #2
ole'

My System

welcome to tsf =)

check hsf. is it was on its side, it mite hav pushed it down.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:29 AM   #3

forgive me for being an idiot but what is an hsf (Heatsink/fan?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2005, 09:30 AM   #4
ole'

My System

yeap. np, i did that exact thing.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:36 AM   #5

my hsf seems to be seated fine but the problem still occurs. I've also tried pushing down on the hsf while the case is upright but i still get the problem. Do you think using the cool n' quiet feature on my mobo would help out? (if you know what i'm talking about)
Old 12-23-2005, 09:39 AM   #6
ole'

My System

hmm. can u get into bios? that way we could no wut the temps wer. that i think is the problem becaus this happened to me and it was the hsf
Old 12-23-2005, 11:01 AM   #7

my temps are normal. Also, it goes back to normal when i tilt the case towards its side, so its not a problem with putting pressure on the back of the case like I thought. This is very strange...
Old 12-23-2005, 12:16 PM   #8
ole'

My System

yes it is. hmm,somthing must b loose so wen the case is in its side, itg falls into place. dunno wut..
Old 12-23-2005, 07:36 PM   #9

@ FleshIntoGear
I am a bit confused. When you experience this problem, is your CPU temperatures going to 90-100 or is your CPU usage going to 90-100%?I am confused by your use of the term 'CPU process'

If it is your temps, I would recommend redoing your thermal paste application following these instructions. You must clean off all the old stuff and reapply new stuff, preferrably ArcticSilver5, the best stuff going. Redoing the thermal paste application must be redone every time you separate the HSF and CPU.

Keep us posted with your progress.
Old 12-23-2005, 07:58 PM   #10
TSF Enthusiast

My System

As suggested I would do the thermal paste first. Then if you still have the problem consider the following possibilities.

If you are sure that the CPU heatsink is firmly attached and cannot move when it is upright then you may have a short or a loose component that is altering it's connection due to the vertical position of the mobo.

If this is a CPU usage issue then a bad connection or partial short is most probable. Likewise for overtemp, something could be closing a voltage path to your CPU and overvolting it so that it gets too hot. Then the slugishness is due to the thermal protection circuits kicking in.

Fortunately since it goes away when you lay the case on its side it can be fixed if identified. I suggest you do not run the PC in this condition until you have identified and repaired the cause.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:16 PM   #11
TSF Enthusiast

My System

just come across this thread as i poked my head into tsf today and thought I might look outside the box on this one and ask about your fan set up.
Do you have your rear fan sucking hot air out and a front fan blowing cold air in ? do you have a side window fan, is that sucking air out or blowing in ?
just a thought as I see you mentioned every thing seems to be ok hardware wise
Old 12-24-2005, 09:09 AM   #12

my computer temps are at 90 but they have always been that way. I recently re-wired everything and the problem has gone away but i think it could happen again. I only have a back fan working since i'm waiting for my side case fan to arrive. I also checked to see if it was my hard drive or optical drive(if they had a problem working on their side) but it works fine.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:46 PM   #13

ugh, having the problem again but now regardless if the case is on its side or standing up. However, the problem eventually goes away if I leave it on for about 20-30 minutes. At this time the cpu usage meter tapers off form 100 to its normal readings at 0-4%. Keep in mind i have no applications running and only a few processes. When my cpu usage is high when i check the process list the only thing that is high is my idle process which is normal. I think it may be a problem with the psu that takes it too long to supply power to the rest of my system. Any help is appreciated.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:39 AM   #14

Quote:
I think it may be a problem with the psu
very possible
Old 12-29-2005, 08:04 PM   #15

I've switched power supplies and am now running the computer outside of the case. I have no problems doing normal tasks but when i try to play a game my framerate is horrible. I exit the game and check the cpu process indicator and it is at 100 then qucikly drops to a lower number (1-4%). I can't figure this out and i think something maybe fried. Can anyone help me here?
Old 12-29-2005, 08:26 PM   #16

also i forgot to note that when i try to install the graphic card's driver cd i get the machine_check exception error. I got my drivers online instead. Wonder if that has anything to do with it.
Old 12-30-2005, 03:30 AM   #17

run this
Closed Thread