Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

User Tag List

Hung up on splash screen, can't access BIOS, language changed after removing battery

This is a discussion on Hung up on splash screen, can't access BIOS, language changed after removing battery within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I am working on my sister's computer and I can't get past the splash screen. At first it would let

Closed Thread

Old 10-08-2018, 05:15 PM   #1
Registered Member

Evil

I am working on my sister's computer and I can't get past the splash screen. At first it would let me enter the BIOS, but not do anything there. I then tried to remove the battery and replace it. After that, I could not enter the BIOS at all, plus the language had switched from English to another language. I tried to remove the jumper and reset that way. I tried booting from the DVD drive and of course that did not work either. I don't have spare memory but I decided to try to boot using one stick, remove it and then the other stick, (since it's not likely I have 2 bad sticks) still nothing. I am thinking the BIOS is corrupt but not for sure. I don't know how I'd fix it since I can't boot from anything. Any ideas? I'm ready to trash it. It's an old computer anyway, my sister just doesn't want to get a new one when all she needs is the ability for her kids to do their homework on it.
This computer is an old HP. I think the BIOS version is 5.31. It's torn apart at the moment so I can't check.

Thanks,
Lisa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2018, 09:44 PM   #2
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Which splash screen, the Windows one or the POST one? What do you mean it wouldn't let you do anything in bios setup, did the keyword stop working, or did it freeze after loading bios setup, or did it not present an option that you expected? Does the pc not have a sticker on it with the model number or serial or product number?
Old 10-09-2018, 02:41 PM   #3
Registered Member

Hi Stancestans, thanks for replying. The screen I get is the boot screen that comes up when you first turn on your computer, the one that says "hp invent." So I can't even get into the BIOS. It has the typical options, F10, Del, etc. but you can't select any of these options. The keyboard will not work. The model is HP Pavilion a6500f. I'm almost positive it is a bad board. The fact that I removed and inserted the battery and it changed to a different language also makes me think so. I have been researching and just now I found a page with the same issue. I have already tried everything the guy on there has tried. https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Deskto...n/td-p/6084265 Looks like I am SOL now. Funny how they are both HP's. Is there anything else you can possibly think of before I tear this thing completely down to bare bones and trash it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2018, 04:12 PM   #4
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

What type of keyboard are you using ps2 or usb.

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 10-09-2018, 05:49 PM   #5
Registered Member

It's a PS/2 keyboard.
Old 10-09-2018, 10:04 PM   #6
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstoner View Post
Hi Stancestans, thanks for replying. The screen I get is the boot screen that comes up when you first turn on your computer, the one that says "hp invent." So I can't even get into the BIOS. It has the typical options, F10, Del, etc. but you can't select any of these options. The keyboard will not work. The model is HP Pavilion a6500f. I'm almost positive it is a bad board. The fact that I removed and inserted the battery and it changed to a different language also makes me think so. I have been researching and just now I found a page with the same issue. I have already tried everything the guy on there has tried. https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Deskto...n/td-p/6084265 Looks like I am SOL now. Funny how they are both HP's. Is there anything else you can possibly think of before I tear this thing completely down to bare bones and trash it?
It's not as old as I had imagined, but yes, it is old. The language change doesn't imply a defect, it simply means the model was particularly meant for a non-English speaking region. The product page for the model defaults to Singapore. Sounds like you're more ready to trash it than refurbish it, so I'd say go ahead.
Old 10-10-2018, 03:39 PM   #7
Registered Member

How old is it? I couldn't find the age. I could refurbish it but I don't think she would want to buy another motherboard. She'd probably have to repurchase Windows 10 for that board, correct? Probably better to just buy a new PC or a refurb that comes with Windows 10.
Old 10-10-2018, 04:22 PM   #8
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Product specs published May 2008

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 10-10-2018, 09:50 PM   #9
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstoner View Post
How old is it? I couldn't find the age. I could refurbish it but I don't think she would want to buy another motherboard. She'd probably have to repurchase Windows 10 for that board, correct? Probably better to just buy a new PC or a refurb that comes with Windows 10.
A micro atx lga 775 motherboard goes for ~$65 and Windows 10 Home OEM goes for ~$99 on newegg. Buying another pc would be the easiest way since it won't involve assembly and Windows installation. Which way is better is actually yours to decide.
Closed Thread