Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

User Tag List

hp touchsmart

This is a discussion on hp touchsmart within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi all I was give this broken pc a Hp touch smart iq770 (5188-6259 motherboard s1 socket ) , I

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JimE
Closed Thread

Old 12-31-2019, 10:49 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi all
I was give this broken pc a Hp touch smart iq770 (5188-6259 motherboard s1 socket ) , I managed to repair the pc motherboard and what i am looking for now is to maximise its speed , at the moment it has a amd turion 64x2 CPU and 4gb ram ,so what im hoping to do is speed up this old pc with the fastest CPU i can find, can anyone recommend a good cpu ,i think i will need to update the bios and thats the problem i cannot find bios software for this pc to download . Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2020, 10:34 PM   #2
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

Likely not much that can be done. Two things are needed to upgrade a cpu: 1) correct cpu socket 2) BIOS support

The first is obvious and not a big deal. The second, especially in regards to OEM hardware (ie: Dell, HP, etc.) is often troublesome for two reasons. They usually don't issue many updates except to fix major issues, and they often lock down the supported cpu list.

Many OEM models will often only ship with a few cpus, even though the chipset may support many. So your only options will be whatever shipped in that model line.

HP should have User Manuals, drivers, and BIOS updates available on their website.

Do a little research on that model line and see which cpu's were offered. Those will very likely be your only options.

And based on a quick search, that is old hardware. It's never going to feel "fast", at least not compared to anything semi recent.
sid.sod likes this.

Old 01-03-2020, 12:06 PM   #3
Registered Member

thanks jim for all that info
I just ordered a AMD Turion 64 X2 Ultra Dual-Core 2.3GHz ZM-84 and 4GB 2X 2GB SDRAM DDR2 and my hdd is 1tr,
I think the pc is as good as its going to be with these parts,
I did try hp support and yes you was right HP doesn't support this pc anymore.
thanks
Closed Thread