Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

User Tag List

HP Laptop BIOS Locked

This is a discussion on HP Laptop BIOS Locked within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Trying to help out my brother with his HP ZBook. I’m trying to help him install Windows 10 on a

Closed Thread

Old 08-18-2019, 06:41 PM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Trying to help out my brother with his HP ZBook. I’m trying to help him install Windows 10 on a new HDD. In order to do this, I need to boot from USB flash drive to install Windows 10. The boot order needs to be changed in the BIOS to boot from USB. He bought this laptop from a friend and his friend says he doesn’t remember what the password is.

What are my options? Would HP support be able to help with this? I tried unplugging the CMOS battery on the laptop’s motherboard but that didn’t help in clearing the BIOS like it normally would on desktop computers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2019, 08:57 PM   #2
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Use F9 to load the boot menu and choose the Windows 10 installation media. No need to enter BIOS setup to change the boot order. Also, I don't see why it doesn't boot straight from the flash drive IF the HDD is new and contains no filesystem and OS. Have you tried booting from that flash drive on a different pc to make sure it is bootable? If not, then do it.
Old 08-19-2019, 05:32 AM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stancestans View Post
Use F9 to load the boot menu and choose the Windows 10 installation media. No need to enter BIOS setup to change the boot order. Also, I don't see why it doesn't boot straight from the flash drive IF the HDD is new and contains no filesystem and OS. Have you tried booting from that flash drive on a different pc to make sure it is bootable? If not, then do it.
Thanks for the reply. When pressing F9 to load the boot menu I’m only given an option to load hard drive. For this reason I want to access the BIOS setup to enable USB as I don’t think it’s enabled to boot from USB and to change the boot order so USB is the first booting device. The flash drive is bootable, tried it on my computer which is also an HP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2019, 05:38 AM   #4
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

Per the Rules here at TSF, we cannot assist with password/security issues.

Contact HP.

Old 08-19-2019, 10:18 AM   #5
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

In that case, HP support is your best option as long as you can prove ownership of the pc. Another option you can try is an external dvd drive, but that also relies on whether booting from usb media is enabled in bios.
Old 08-19-2019, 06:20 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stancestans View Post
In that case, HP support is your best option as long as you can prove ownership of the pc. Another option you can try is an external dvd drive, but that also relies on whether booting from usb media is enabled in bios.
Will give HP support a call to see if they can help with this issue. Not sure how we will provide proof of ownership since my brother bought this laptop used from a friend of his.

Thought about the external optical drive too but like you said, not having it enabled to boot from USB in the BIOS, the issue remains.

Thanks for your input.
Closed Thread