Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

How to avoid breaking the front usb ports?

This is a discussion on How to avoid breaking the front usb ports? within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I use in 3 inch USB cables and than plug my dongles and other devices into the extension. That way

Like Tree7Likes
Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 10:56 AM   #21
Registered Member

I use in 3 inch USB cables and than plug my dongles and other devices into the extension. That way I don't accidently cross the connectors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2018, 08:11 AM   #22
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-M View Post
I think many of you are off in the direction of software solutions when the point of this thread really was the front ports break easily and no uninstalling or reinstalling has little to do with that as this thread moves off in the wrong direction!
The title may say breaking, but the text says not working and many people use the word breaking as both a physical meaning and "not working" meaning so I think you should read the whole thread before making comments like you did.
Old 07-26-2018, 08:16 AM   #23
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussj4link View Post
Haha, that's probably a funny title, but it's true to my question nevertheless. So, over time, I've have 6 different desktop PCs. Inn all of them with front usb ports, they have all stopped working within the first 3 months of buying the PC. This always saddens me because those front ports are so convenient. I then just use the back ports for the rest of the PC's life, never having any of them stop working on me. So this tells me there is likely something I am doing wrong with them. I don't use them in any manner different from how I use the back ports, but always, they seem to stop working. So my question is, what can I do to prevent this as I am planing on getting a new PC within the next few months and I'd really like to keep those ports working as long as possible.
Here's a refresher of the original post for anyone who got off track.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2018, 03:02 PM   #24
Registered Member

I also find it strange.. I have had many different cases.. most computers I have had are home built by me with reasonable hardware.. and I also fix many different brands of PC.. in my experience the only USB ports thea have actually"broken" have been from very poor quality hardware, or physical abuse. the latter being kids pushing up and down on device plugs and actually physically breaking them.. or people inserting devices the wrong way and forcing... this usually causes a short...
I have on the odd occasion seen these ports not working, but that mostly was a Windows problem.. USB Host controller or Hub not recognised for some reason.. which is often cured by deleting said device in the Device Manager, and letting it get redetected. Personally I have never had a front USB stop on any of my own PC's.
Old 07-27-2018, 04:27 PM   #25
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymnasium View Post
The title may say breaking, but the text says not working and many people use the word breaking as both a physical meaning and "not working" meaning so I think you should read the whole thread before making comments like you did.
I have been in the thread since the beginning and I see many towers with front Usb ports actually broken out so I guess this could mean either. Usually if they just stop working but are in tact its because the plug from the board to the case fell out as the front ports have a separate plug from the case to the motherboard whereas the back ports are built into the motherboard.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 07-27-2018, 10:33 PM   #26
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmort View Post
I also find it strange.. I have had many different cases.. most computers I have had are home built by me with reasonable hardware.. and I also fix many different brands of PC.. in my experience the only USB ports thea have actually"broken" have been from very poor quality hardware, or physical abuse. the latter being kids pushing up and down on device plugs and actually physically breaking them.. or people inserting devices the wrong way and forcing... this usually causes a short...
I have on the odd occasion seen these ports not working, but that mostly was a Windows problem.. USB Host controller or Hub not recognised for some reason.. which is often cured by deleting said device in the Device Manager, and letting it get redetected. Personally I have never had a front USB stop on any of my own PC's.
I agree. I am yet to see physically broken ports that weren't abused or toyed with. I have seen one too many front panel ports stop working entirely or malfunction on cheap cases, my very own first build of many years ago suffering from the same on one of the front ports, while the rest of the panel's ports work just fine. Narrowed it down to some tiny capacitor on the panel's pcb, but decided not worth the effort to replace it. The port works partially; connected devices lose power and reconnect intermittently. On old oem PCs I've seen front ports that do not work right, and most turned out to be fine-dust-covered contacts or loosened grip.
Old 07-28-2018, 06:24 AM   #27
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

While kids do often break front ports with rough use I have seen users break usb ports simply by over using them and a usb printer attached only to print and then removed is a good example of things users do that just are too much use to break ports.
While we are on the subject let us not forget that Usb 2.0 ports and Usb 3.0 ports use inside cable connections to the motherboard and while both ports can recognize and use either device they have separate connections and it happens often a user going into tower for something can easily disconnect one or the other without realizing it.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 07-28-2018, 09:00 AM   #28
TSF Enthusiast

I maintain it's user carelessness more than design error.

Most desktops sit on the floor under the desk, or on a shelf beside or above, rarely at desktop level. People reaching up, down or over are almost always inserting or removing the device at some angle from the connector, and may not even be looking while doing it. Once, twice, ten times may be fine, but somewhere down the line that cockeyed yank is bound to take a toll.
Stancestans likes this.
Old 07-28-2018, 10:46 AM   #29
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

Yep good point Confounded.

Closed Thread