Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

How do you remove the bios chip?

This is a discussion on How do you remove the bios chip? within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I've had a problem with my P4C800-E Deluxe mobo. I kept on getting "System failed due to CPU overclocking" POST

Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2004, 07:02 PM   #1

Idea

I've had a problem with my P4C800-E Deluxe mobo. I kept on getting "System failed due to CPU overclocking" POST messages. I tried everthing and to no avail. Finally I called Asus and found out that my bios version doesn't support my 3.2 prescott cpu. Tech support told me to pop the chip out and send it to them and they'd give me an updated version. Now, how do I "pop" the darn chip out? It's in there tight. Now I'm a noob to all this and I don't have any tools. Is there any household items that I can use to get it out? I tried tweezers, but the tip isn't narrow enough to get into the 2 holes in the corners. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2004, 10:37 PM   #2
I helped the forums.

OS: XP-Pro Sp2 & XP-Pro Sp2 Tablet Edition, Vista Ultimate, Win 7

My System

All you have to do is go to radio shack and buy a IC chip puller....be careful removing and installing these chips can do a lot of damage, if done wrong or with improper tools. Try a google search on removing bios chips, there are pleanty of sites that show how !
twajetmech
Old 09-12-2004, 05:06 PM   #3

ty... will go tomorrow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2004, 11:31 PM   #4
Guru

An official removal tool sounds good.

Be sure to pull the power cord and also the battery before attempting chip removal.

This could be bad advice but in a pinch I've used a bent paper clip. Choose a heavy clip and put a short "L" in one end using pliers. Work that under one corner of the chip. Making sure the L is pointing toward the chip center, gently pull straight up. The chip should pop out.

twajetmech's right, though: certain tools --for instance an icepick, needlenose, or screwdriver-- will damage something, probably the socket or its pins. I know... I've done it. Fortunately I was able to get that server working anyway, though, but not until after some scary moments. We learn by doing, and by making mistakes.

-clintfan
Closed Thread