Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

User Tag List

High Idle CPU Utilisation and Causing FPS drops while gaming

This is a discussion on High Idle CPU Utilisation and Causing FPS drops while gaming within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi all, I'm not really sure where to start. I've been having a lot of FPS issues that I believe

Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2020, 10:58 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi all,

I'm not really sure where to start. I've been having a lot of FPS issues that I believe are coming from my CPU as a lot of the time the idle usage is quite high and in some games it can be hitting 100%.

More recently, I have tried to play games such as the new Call of Duty and it is unplayable as my system will completely lock up and my CPU will be stuck at 100% usage. This has never been an issue for me previously with any other games.

Since then I have now been getting FPS in very easy to run games, such as FIFA 20 and Overwatch where my FPS will drop to single digits for about 5 seconds then it will go back to running at 60 fps.

I have since removed my overclock and ensured that all of my components are connected correctly. I have done some reading online and a lot of people have mentioned CPU overheating, but as far as I can tell my CPU does not break 50 degrees as I have an after market cooler on it.

I can't seem to understand what is going wrong. So any help on how to resolve or troubleshoot this issue would be much appreciated.

My Specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 1300X
RAM: VULCAN T-FORCE 8GB (2X4GB) DDR4 3000MHZ
Motherboard: ASRock AB350M Pro4
GPU: GTX 1060 6GB
HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB
SSD: Kingston 120GB SSD

Also, I have attached a picture which shows my idle utilisation and the random spikes while just having chrome and a few low impacting applications open.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

- Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2020, 10:35 PM   #2
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

Aside from just watching the cpu usage, check the process usage and see what is actually using the cpu.

Old 01-02-2020, 11:40 PM   #3
Hardware Tech Team

My System

Agreed with JimE, and also check your GPU temperatures while gaming and idle make sure the clocks are where they should be on that GTX 1060.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2020, 08:59 AM   #4
Registered Member

I see something called System Interrupts which is taking up the majority of the percentage at idle... I don't know if that means anything.
Old 01-04-2020, 07:34 PM   #5
Moderator - Hardware

My System

How much is a majority?

At idle, with nothing running, you can have an app or two using the "majority" of the cpu, and yet the cpu usage still be low.

When you have high cpu usage (ie: 90% or more), is when to check the process using the cpu. If this is only occurring during gaming, it could be any number of possible causes. First, and most, common, heat related (ie: overheating or just aging parts that no longer like being hot). Second, would be drivers.

Old 01-07-2020, 09:01 AM   #6
Registered Member

So this is a snapshot of the processes.

What I meant by majority is that at idle my CPU usage is at around 15-20% and system interrupts takes up around 6-8% of this.

Although this issue isn't present consistently in all games I play, in Call of Duty it is and makes the game unplayable. In the menus it is completely unplayable and limits me to around 10-20 fps and my system interrupts is a similar value to what it is during idle (6-8%). However, when my system completely locks up and freezes the system interrupts jumps to around 30-40%.

I have no idea what could be causing this. I think I can safely rule out heat as my CPU runs below 60 degrees even under load.

I have seen people on YouTube use my exact CPU and GPU combination and play the game fine, so I am of course worried that this is a wider issue not relating to just Call of Duty.

It may be a driver issue, but would the best way to test this be by performing a fresh install and seeing how the system runs then? Is that the only way to rule out hardware failure?
Old 01-09-2020, 08:58 PM   #7
Moderator - Hardware

My System

I've not seen that before, but a quick search would indicate that it's fairly common.

Here: https://www.thewindowsclub.com/syste...-in-windows-10

Old 01-11-2020, 05:16 PM   #8
Hardware Tech Team

My System

Quote:
It may be a driver issue, but would the best way to test this be by performing a fresh install and seeing how the system runs then? Is that the only way to rule out hardware failure?
Exactly what I would do. Fresh OS install with the default nvidia drivers and default everything else and test. This is why I make a Macrium backup called "test mode" just for that purpose. It's Win10 updated fully with only chipset drivers installed nothing else and the default nvidia drivers.
Closed Thread