Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

High CPU usage

This is a discussion on High CPU usage within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Just today my computer has been running really slow, and I can see that the CPU usage is going anywhere

Closed Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 10:58 PM   #1
Registered Member

Just today my computer has been running really slow, and I can see that the CPU usage is going anywhere from 80%-100% but System Idle Process is the only thing showing to take up space, which is normal I believe.

I eventually tried random things online but couldn't figure it out, so I did a system restore to earlier in the day, which worked perfectly. I thought that was that, but after downloading a few songs (torrent), I tried to play one and it set everything back to what it was at before. It honestly does not appear to be a virus, as the song works and is from a site I normally use, but I don't doubt it could be contributing.

Another strange thing is that when it initially started I was downloading a movie online (chrome), and paused it at like the half-way point, but when I clicked resume it said it was completely finished when I knew it wasn't... not sure if that is related. Oh, I deleted that file since then, but it did not appear to be a virus either.

Anyway, not sure if any of this is useful, but I would really appreciate any possible help.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2010, 12:38 AM   #2
Registered Member

OS: Windows 10 Pro and Linux Mint 19.3 (Primary) Displayed on a Samsung 48" 4K Curved TV

My System

Could be many different things but it is normal to have the idle process use a high percentage of the CPU if the system is idling.
The idle process is just that, a idle process. In short, it's a Windows thing.

Anyhow are there any other processes using high amounts of the CPU?

What AV are you using

And as a side note let's leave the movie downloading and Torrenting off this thread as this site does not condone Torrenting unless it is completely legal.
Just FYI.

So for the record the subject at hand is a slow system that once wasn't slow. Enough Said...
Old 12-28-2010, 03:36 AM   #3
Registered Member

Gotcha, sorry, thought it might be relevant.

Nope, nothing else appears, except whatever program I load (ie a few % towards chrome.exe while I'm on this page)

Currently have no anti-virus, had some panda one which was okay but deleted it because of constant popups.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2010, 08:37 AM   #4
Registered Member

OS: Windows 10 Pro and Linux Mint 19.3 (Primary) Displayed on a Samsung 48" 4K Curved TV

My System

Just wanted to make sure you were covered there.

So is the system running slow or were you just concerned that the idling process was using up so much CPU?
Closed Thread