Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

Help With non booting computer

This is a discussion on Help With non booting computer within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Yes i have 2 computers with the same socket cpu and the one board i guess had a bad cpu

Closed Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 07:41 PM   #1

Yes i have 2 computers with the same socket cpu and the one board i guess had a bad cpu so i pulled a working cpu from current computer and tried it in the non botting computer nothing happened but the fans turned on and stayed running so i took the cpu back out and put it back in the wroking machine now the computer will only turn on for 3 seconds and shuts down. i was wondering if i fried that mobo or would it be safe to try another cpu . I have order one from ebay. BTW it is a socket 462 the first non booting mobo was from an hp and my current non booting mobo is a K7S8XE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2008, 07:47 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

Sounds to me like you are changing this CPU around and not cleaning the Thermal paste off each time and reapplying new. Any time you take apart a CPU/Heatsink from a board, you must clean and reapply or heat buildup will shut them down.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:23 PM   #3

if i do is there a chance that if the cpu is bad it will ruin the mobo because i don't want to do that. I know that i pulled everything from the board including cpu and ram so just the board and power it on and it ran i know this because of the fan but that was only thing on board
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2008, 08:45 PM   #4
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

it just will not start
not redoing the paste is more likely to cause a problem
more likely a psu problem

Old 12-19-2008, 09:46 PM   #5

I guess whatever you said worked for my main computer thank you it booted with both cpus so now i have to figure out why the other board will not boot it is an hp a7n8x-la i have tried different memory and hooking up hdd but it will show anything on vga display just fans running
Old 12-19-2008, 10:20 PM   #6
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

it hard to work out which one is which
what's this one actually doing

Closed Thread