Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

Help with new PC!!

This is a discussion on Help with new PC!! within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Ok decided to build myself a new pc, most of it arrived today - tower combo https://www.colors-it.com/combo_desc....ad5ff53cee8bbb motherboard - https://www.giga-byte.com/Motherboard..._GA-K8NF-9.htm

Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 02:26 PM   #1

Ok decided to build myself a new pc, most of it arrived today - tower combo https://www.colors-it.com/combo_desc....ad5ff53cee8bbb motherboard - https://www.giga-byte.com/Motherboard..._GA-K8NF-9.htm

Athlon 64 3200+ cpu, 1 gig of kingston pc3200 & a Benq 19" FP931 monitor. still have my 120 gig hard drive & gigabyte 7800 GT gfx card to arrive.

Well my problem is when I was after fixing the m/board to the tower i proceeded to attempt attaching the ATX power connector only to find out the one on th board is 24 pin & one from the tower is 20 pin!! am i screwed, didn't realise towers n motherboards had compatibilty issues - I did find a ATX_12v connector on the m/board & a cable from the PSU that connected, is this right? I am asking as I set everything else up, fixing on the cpu/fan & memory - fixing the wires uo to audio, hd, reset etc - but when I switch on I get nothing, no life - I know I still lack a graphic card & hard drive but should I still be able to turn on & get into bios - I'm worried something isn't quite right but not being 100% computer minded I can't figure out whats wrong ;-\
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2006, 04:33 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Send a message via ICQ to ebackhus Send a message via AIM to ebackhus Send a message via MSN to ebackhus Send a message via Yahoo to ebackhus Send a message via Skype™ to ebackhus
You'll want to go out and get yourself a TRUE 24-pin PSU. There are adapters but they are not trusted.
Old 02-09-2006, 04:42 PM   #3

Managed to fit the 24 pin connector into the 20 pin slot on the motherboard, PSU is working as the fans are going on since I got the connector in, just no life coming from the motherboard.
I have all the wires in the correct F_PANEL place, well as long as the power switch is the M/B SW wire ^ ^
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2006, 05:17 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

Hi,

You need to clear up what you have. You said in the first post and what ebackhus based his statement on

:

Quote:
Originally Posted by locherbread
xWell my problem is when I was after fixing the m/board to the tower i proceeded to attempt attaching the ATX power connector only to find out the one on th board is 24 pin & one from the tower is 20 pin!! am i screwed, didn't realise towers n motherboards had compatibilty issues x;

Here is what you said in the second post:

Managed to fit the 24 pin connector into the 20 pin slot on the motherboard, PSU is working as the fans are going on since I got the connector in, just no life coming from the motherboard.

Those statements don't mesh.

Now, when you get that cleared up tell us what you did and how you did it. Oh, did you remember to connect that 12 volt square molex plug to the motherboard?

-\
Old 02-09-2006, 05:24 PM   #5

Sorry my mistake, getting a bit frustrated, meant I plugged the 20 connector into the 24 ATX slot on the motherboard, when I did this I got life out of the PSU, but still nothing from the motherboard .
yeah i've also connected the ATX_12v 4 pin .
Old 02-09-2006, 05:30 PM   #6
ole'

My System

you need the extra 4 pins. no other reason would make your mobo not work
Old 02-09-2006, 05:37 PM   #7

So buy a PSU, if only i'd known before hand you got PSU that weren't compatible with certain motherboard, first time i've came across this - Means I'd better be 100% sure the PSU I purchase is compatible ^ ^
Old 02-09-2006, 05:46 PM   #8
TSF Team, Emeritus

Quote:
Sorry my mistake, getting a bit frustrated, meant I plugged the 20 connector into the 24 ATX slot on the motherboard, when I did this I got life out of the PSU, but still nothing from the motherboard .
yeah i've also connected the ATX_12v 4 pin .
Hi,

O.K., now understand where you are at with this. I read a review on this board (looks like a very good one) and found this statement from an overclocking forum:

Quote:
Originally Posted by overclocking review
The motherboard uses the newer 24-pin ATX power connector found on most new power supplies, but interestingly enough, Gigabyte blocks off the last four pins on the right with a small plastic connector, essentially making it a 20-pin ATX connector. We tested the board with both a 20-pin and a 24-pin power connector and it worked fine with both kinds of power supplies. The board still requires a standard 4-pin +12V square "P4" style power connector, which is featured on the opposite side of the motherboard compared to the primary ATX connector.
With my experience, like to see the newer boards being supported by the 24 pin ATX Connector, but in this instance, seems like the manufacturer kind of blanked those slots out for some reason. I think this is weird, but who am I to judge their wisdom.

This won't get you going though, so we need to try some things to see if you can get it going. There also might be a couple of questions that might help us to help you.

First of all, does the thing "beep" when you start it up, or does it remain silent?

Second, if you have two or more sticks of memory, take all of them out, except one stick. Check your manual to see which slot only one stick goes in.

Next, did you remember to plug in the connector that goes to the pci-e video card?

Tell us exactly what happens when you turn it on? What lights stay on, what sounds does it make, what fans spin, do they keep spinning or quit?

If you still get nothing, take your memory all out and see if it beeps you to death telling you it needs memory.

We just need to narrow this down more before we can do too much.
Old 02-09-2006, 06:00 PM   #9

Ok when I plugged in the 20 pin connector I placed it dead middle, leaving 2 pins either side of it free, also I only have 1 stick of kingston memory, 1 gig.

I get no beep when I switch on, only fans going are the 3 case fans - I do not yet have a graphic card in, waiting on my gigabyte 7800GT arriving, nor do I have a hard drive yet that is also still to arrive, but I am assuming the CPU should stick kick in without either of these installed?

I ordered everything from the same company "dabs.com" I only have the tower, motherboard, memory & CPU (oh & keyboard/mouse/speakers)

I would take the gfx card from this machine but its an AGP X800 pro.
I have all the I have all the F_PANEL wires connected correctly, that is assuming the black+yellow M/B SW is the power switch :-)
Old 02-09-2006, 06:07 PM   #10
ole'

My System

put the 20 pin connecter all the way on the right side, with the proc closest to you. if that doesnt work, go all the way to the left
Old 02-09-2006, 06:08 PM   #11
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to linderman
also I dont know how >>>> but I have had several of my shop computer cohorts tell me you can insert a 20 pin PSU connector into a 24pin mobo connector >>>> you just leave 4 pins empty >>>> but in which direction do you shuffle the 20 pin connector >>>> to the left or the right

myself I would never dare to do this >>>> I sell mainly expensive boards I would really be torques if I burnt one up !!!

I have also been told you can hang four pins over the edge on a 20 pin motherboard connector with a 24pin PSU >>>> but my question remains the same >>> in which direction do you know how to "hang over" to the left or to the right ??????

mobo wiring schematic maybe ??????????
Old 02-09-2006, 06:15 PM   #12

Ok I put the connector totally to the right, switched her on & bingo we have lift off ^ ^

Thanks for all the help, without you I'd have probably not solved this ^ ^

One last concern, I posted this on another forum as well, futuremark & one guy said because it was a value/budget tower I bought the 480w PSU in it might not be up to handling a 7800GT gfx card - any thoughts on this?
Old 02-09-2006, 06:26 PM   #13
TSF Team, Emeritus

Hi,

Now, i need to yell at you! TURN THAT DARN THING OFF AND WAIT FOR THE REST OF YOUR PARTS! I have not looked up the power supply and will try to take a look at that issue. Just cool it until you get some more information on that issue also.
Old 02-09-2006, 06:27 PM   #14

hehe aye its off now, made a mad beeping noise when I booted it up - CPU fan burst into life which made me happy - its now off till the rest of the parts arrive ^ ^
Old 02-09-2006, 06:33 PM   #15
TSF Team, Emeritus

Hi,

The link you provided does not tell me anything about the power supply, so don't have any idea about that issue with this one. If I were you, might want to WAIT FOR THE REST OF YOUR PARTS and then see if it does the job for you. Only kidding about the caps. Anyway, if it will only be a day or so for the parts, might want to worry about that if it does not work. I do know the 7800 does take a bunch of power.

Have a great evening.
Old 02-10-2006, 10:08 AM   #16

Well parts didn't arrive today, so left twiddling my thumbs patiently - This system still plays the games I have pretty reasonably "sempron 2300+ 1 gig pc3200 (512mb of its going into my new system to up it to 1.5 gig as i'm selling this sysyem once my other is up n running) sapphire X800 pro.

But I wanna run battlefield 2 & everquest 2 with a little more eyecandy & increased FPS, so spent a wee bit upgrading.

Just hoping I do see an increased performance in my new rig, heard the athlon 64 (venice) are pretty good for overclocking ^ ^
Old 02-10-2006, 03:42 PM   #17
TSF Team, Emeritus

Quote:
Well parts didn't arrive today, so left twiddling my thumbs patiently - This system still plays the games I have pretty reasonably "sempron 2300+ 1 gig pc3200 (512mb of its going into my new system (512mb of its going into my new system to up it to 1.5 gig as i'm selling this sysyem once my other is up n running) sapphire X800 pro.
Hi,

O.K., here we go. Repeat after me, "I will never mix memory in a modern computer, They will always be matched sets and purchased at the same time from the same place and matched to work best in my computer." Another personal opinion. If you want to have a lot of memory, then order two sets of matched 512's or 2 1 gig sticks. Dual mode motherboards perform better with that setup.
Closed Thread