Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

Help with Heatsink problem!

This is a discussion on Help with Heatsink problem! within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, I've just taken apart my Dell Inspiron 2200 laptop and had to remove the CPU in the process. (Intel

Closed Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 08:03 PM   #1
Registered Member

EEK!

Hi,
I've just taken apart my Dell Inspiron 2200 laptop and had to remove the CPU in the process. (Intel Pentium M) I need to reapply the thermal grease while putting it together, and I noticed that there's a thin metal sheet between the heatsink and the processor? There is thermal grease on top of the sheet, that I removed, but is the sheet part of the system, or is it to be removed? This computer has never had the processor tampered with before. I've got Arctic Silver 5 here and I'm waiting for some opinions. There's a small pool of thermal grease around the processor, and also this sheet of metal that was covered with it. Is it just a messily-done thermal pad by Dell, or is it part of the heat sink? The heatsink is solid copper-colored underneath this sheet. Help would be appreciated as it's sitting with a pile of screws waiting for your help.
Thanks in advance,
Alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2010, 10:41 PM   #2
Troubled

I'm pretty certain the thin metal sheet is part of some sort of thermal pad. I've encountered them on desktop CPUs a couple of times. I've removed the metal sheet, cleaned off the thermal grease which will be under it, then started again with a clean heatsink and CPU and some fresh thermal paste (that is, I've thrown the thin metal sheet away).

Someone may come along who knows what purpose the metal sheet serves, but I'd guess it's to either slightly increase the pressure between the CPU and the heatsink, or it's a way of increasing the contact area between them if the CPU or heatsink aren't perfectly flat (without using excessive paste) but if you're sure the heatsink will still sit firmly on the CPU without it, I can't see any reason why you can't get rid of it. If the metal sheet is still nicely attached to either of the CPU or heatsink it's probably not going to hurt to leave it there either.... as long as you're sure the heatsink will still sit firmly on the CPU without it.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:03 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks, I took the sheet off and it seems to be unneeded, so that answers my question. Thanks for sharing your experience!
~Alex
Closed Thread