Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

Help Me Please!

This is a discussion on Help Me Please! within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. hi, im trying to learn about the insides of computers and how they work. i took the side panel off

Closed Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 03:05 PM   #1
Registered Member

Question

hi, im trying to learn about the insides of computers and how they work. i took the side panel off of my comp. and started looking at stuff. i moved around wires to get better looks at stuff, but i unplugged nothing. i put the side panel back on my comp. and plugged everything into the back. i turned on my comp and it turned on (all of the lights and fans) but the monitor stayed black.

i did this on a carpeted surface (if that means anything)

what do i need to do to get my comp working again?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2007, 03:31 PM   #2

is it possible that you just disconnected the cable that is on the back, that goes to the monitor? or that it just isnt pushed in enough? it doesnt sound to me like you did anything that could be a big problem.

double check everything, even if 'sure'
Old 12-16-2007, 04:06 PM   #3
Registered Member

i pushed the cable in as far as it goes and double checked everything. still no luck. thanks though...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2007, 05:04 PM   #4
Registered Member

My System

check your motherboard manual, if you have one to see if there is a jumper that is tripped when you open the case. Is this pc custom built, or one of Dell, Hp, gateway, etc?
Old 12-16-2007, 05:16 PM   #5
Registered Member

I won the PC at an auction at my office. it just came with a PC and monitor. no manuals.

No other suggestions?
Old 12-16-2007, 07:24 PM   #6

bad memory could be the problem.. if you have two sticks then take one out and test it. if it doesn't work then try the other. try all slots with each stick.

if you only have one stick in it then test it with one lying around or buy one to test with

also, for th manual... open up the computer. on the motherboard there will be a bunch of numbers/letters usually next to your pci slots. once you find that, just google it and you should find your manual. that or give me more info on your computer and i can do it for you. like the model of the computer, if it's a prebuilt computer (dell, hp, gateway, etc) or you can take a picture of the inside of the computer and post it here
Old 12-16-2007, 09:29 PM   #7
I helped the forums.

OS: XP-Pro Sp2 & XP-Pro Sp2 Tablet Edition, Vista Ultimate, Win 7

My System

"i did this on a carpeted surface (if that means anything)" It could. The other members have given you good advice so far, chances are you simply loosened something moving the cables around. Walking across a carpeted surface can generate a lot of staic electricity, in the order of 30,000 volts to be exact ! Not grounding yourself before touching anything in the case could certainly fry any one of the components in the computer. If the computer was plugged into a properly grounded socket, then there is a good chance that all is well, if it wasn't you may have learned an expensive lesson on taking proper ESD precautions. If checking the security of all the cables fails to remedy your problem, look at the bench test article linked below and follow the steps to isolate which component is giving the issue. Buy a anti-stat wrist strap !
Old 12-19-2007, 06:07 AM   #8
Registered Member

Thanks a lot for all of your help guys. i tried all of your ideas but nothing seems to work, i took it to some computer expert that works at a comp. repair shop, he says he cant figure out what it is. now he's going to try to put each of my parts in a different computer and figure out whats causing it.

Thanks again,
sdb_93
Closed Thread