Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

User Tag List

HELP! Can't see optical drive, can't install OS!

This is a discussion on HELP! Can't see optical drive, can't install OS! within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My Gigabyte GA-H170M-D3H could see the optical drive when I had a hard drive connected to it. Now, I disconnected

Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2020, 08:19 PM   #1
Registered Member

My Gigabyte GA-H170M-D3H could see the optical drive when I had a hard drive connected to it. Now, I disconnected the hard drive (and the power to it) and installed a WD Blue 500GB M.2 SSD on the motherboard.

Now, for whatever reason, I get this message saying that I need to correct the boot order. I have the latest BIOS but when I go into BIOS, I don't see the optical drive listed. I can see the SSD but on one window I see something like Windows Boot (something I have to check tomorrow, need to sleep). Anyway, I tried switching that to #1 in Boot and it doesn't do anything.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2020, 08:23 PM   #2
Windows Tech Team

My System

The following is not intended to be snarky in any way, but why not just set USB to be in the boot order and use a flash drive?

I haven't been using optical media (for anything) routinely for several years, and the most common install media is USB these days.
Old 01-15-2020, 02:45 PM   #3
Registered Member

The message I see says: "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key_"

Obviously, since I'm trying to install a new version of Windows, this does not help. If I have to install through a USB drive, can you say how you load the ISO file to the flash drive? I mean I once got a message saying the file was too large to transfer (but that was Win7). Should I download the ISO file directly to the flash drive?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2020, 02:58 PM   #4
Windows Tech Team

My System

See any one of the following of your choosing:

a) Completely Clean Win10 (Re)install Using MCT to Download Win10 ISO File
b) Completely Clean Win10 (Re)install Using MCT to Create a Bootable USB Drive
c) How to do a CLEAN Installation of Windows 10 (Tom’s Hardware Forums, with screen shots)

All cover how to create bootable USB media for doing an initial load of Windows 10 or for doing a completely clean reinstall.
Old 01-15-2020, 07:53 PM   #5
Registered Member

Oh ok, cool. Well, I hooked up the optical drive to the SATA port that was occupied by the old hard drive and it finally installed Windows.

What I want to know now is how do I stop the computer from going into sleep mode (with Win8.1). I found the option to change the display but not the computer.
Old 01-15-2020, 07:59 PM   #6
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

here is a guide https://www.microcenter.com/tech_cen...-in-windows-81

Mark thread solved under thread tools when issue has been resolved.
Old 01-16-2020, 06:33 AM   #7
Registered Member

That's cool, thanks.
Closed Thread