Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

User Tag List

GPU not working after Motherboard upgrade

This is a discussion on GPU not working after Motherboard upgrade within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello everyone, my situation is this, my old setup had some problems so i finally took the step and upgraded

Closed Thread

Old 05-27-2018, 11:12 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello everyone,
my situation is this, my old setup had some problems so i finally took the step and upgraded the general facilitys.
new motherboard, cpu and ram.
specs are:
gigabyte B360M DS3H motherboard
crucial 8gb ddr4 2400 ram
intel i5 8400 cpu

and i also reused my old gpu
a radeo r9 285x

after all the work im left at this impass:

i can boot up the pc ok and start windows 10 BUT i can only use a
monitor if i go over the cpu graphics. if i have my gpu active every one
of my 3 monitors stays black (pc seems to start normally. mouse and
keyboard light up and i can use capskey to switch lights.)

i guessed that it would be the missing drivers for my graphics card but
when i use the internal graphics i have to deconnect the gpu or its getting used automaticaly (even when i enable internal graphics in bios) so the computer doesnt recognize the gpu and thus the drivers
program doesnt say it finds hardware for drivers.

i tried every possible driver update i could think of, chipset, os, io driver etc. the only thing i couldnt do yet is update bios, cause when i tried the update utility of my bios doesnt recognize any usbdrives and doesnt let me search my internal harddrive. only lets me into a folder named efi that i cant see when i've booted to windows...

tldr:
gpu doesnt send signal to monitors after motherboard upgrade.
is it the missing gpu drivers or should atleast some signal come through the gpu even without drivers? if drivers are problem how can i
install them without signal to monitor, and i also have to disconnet gpu
to use cpu graphics?

hope someone can help me. big thanks in advance :3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2018, 01:32 AM   #2
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

It is not a driver issue you would be able to boot without one.

Make sure the card is fully seated and you have the correct aux power plugs plugged in check both ends if you have a modular power supply.

In the bios make sure the Initial Display Output is set to PCIe slot 1.
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search