Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

General Question on Shutting down pc

This is a discussion on General Question on Shutting down pc within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I've heard many theories on why its not good for you to shut down your pc that you should leave

Closed Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 09:52 PM   #1

Question

I've heard many theories on why its not good for you to shut down your pc that you should leave it running or standby/hibernate. If this is so WHY and HOW is shutting down a bad thing??? or is this just a load of bs?

Any comments are appreciated!!!!!!!

I realize this isnt a motherboard or cpu question but out of all the categories the hardware part is where I figured I get the best responses
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2007, 11:20 PM   #2

Hi,
IMHO that's nonsense (as long as the shutdown isn't forced). Also - shutting down saves power.

Nicholas
Old 04-30-2007, 12:15 AM   #3
I helped the forums.

My System

I have to agree with Nicholas on this one. It's nonsense.

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2007, 08:23 AM   #4

thats what i assumed. to me there was no logical reason why it would be a bad thing!

Thanks for clearing it up!!!!!
Old 04-30-2007, 08:27 AM   #5

You're welcome. Tell your friends
Old 04-30-2007, 11:19 AM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Send a message via ICQ to ebackhus Send a message via AIM to ebackhus Send a message via MSN to ebackhus Send a message via Yahoo to ebackhus Send a message via Skype™ to ebackhus

I don't like using the standby and hibernate modes on my machines. On my computers I just tell it to power off the monitor in case I forget to do it myself and allow for CPU throttling to crank down the juice when it's idle.

Powering a computer off is perfectly safe when doing properly so don't listen to the bunk anyone tells ya.
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OE Question
Thanks for the welcome - you're all very kind. As suggested, I'll post my question here. It's short and simple - and I hope that describes the answer, too. (By which I mean, anything too complicated, and I'll be posting another question about the answer to the question:)) On a couple of...
Corinda Microsoft Office support 9 08-13-2006 08:52 AM
Help With Odd Computer Behaviors
Preface: While you analyze this log please keep in mind that this "HiJackThis" poster has very limited computer knowledge. If you provide me with spyware removal instruction, please relate it in laymen's terms. System: Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 2...
Poko Resolved HJT Threads 34 07-16-2006 09:05 PM
Really random general info question.
I have been using my laptop a lot lately because my video card in my desktop fried, and after staring at my beautiful laptop screen for a few days, I have began to wonder how laptop screens can be so thin, yet so bright, clear, and perfect. I know they don't have the best pixel response time, etc....
Raggedtoad Other Hardware Support 1 11-21-2005 10:06 AM
General Hijack question
Hi. I just went through a lot of trouble with my notebook. It was running very slowly and seemed to load pages in a very fragmented pattern. I have increased my RAM and been fine-tuning it with program uninstalls and scans/defrags, but just want to make sure I am not missing something else that...
DoubleVision Inactive Malware Help Topics 1 10-07-2005 01:25 AM
Just a general security question
Apart from having some freezing problems (hopefully attended to in Hijack This forum) I wondered if anyone could tell me if I have any conflicts with the following installed. AVG personal free edition Spywareguard Spywareblaster Zonealarms firewall I've just posted a log in Hijack This...
Snorky General Computer Security 3 04-07-2005 11:29 AM