Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

General Asus Question

This is a discussion on General Asus Question within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I am in the planning stages for a new system and had my eye on an Asus motherboard. However it

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2005, 11:15 PM   #1

I am in the planning stages for a new system and had my eye on an Asus motherboard. However it concerns me somewhat that there is a forum here solely for Asus motherboards. Are Asus boards more prone to problems than others, or is there an Asus forum because Asus is a popular brand? I have never owned an Asus in the past. A friend recommended Gigabyte for their dual BIOS, but the new Asus SLI board looks pretty sweet.

Robert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2005, 03:41 AM   #2
mark3567

Hi,

This is a difficult question, but since you have left it open to individual interpretation, I will send you a reply.

Let me answer the last question first. Yes, ASUS boards are very popular and there are just loads of them. It would be my guess that no one makes and ships more boards than ASUS. Therefore, there are so many out there that a forum is needed to answer the many questions.

The first question last. ASUS boards are very popular for overclocking so that raises many issues since overclocking can involve many more issues than the vanilla board usage. Also, ASUS boards are kind of like a fine tuned car (let's say like a Jaguar), they need to be piqued to a fine line to give you the very best performance in the motherboard market and that takes some fine tuning. That issue alone needs to have a forum to network with others who have the same issues to deal with in fine tuning them.

ASUS boards are very sensitive to memory (use memory from their approved list or ask for trouble), so it is difficult to just throw some memory from an old board in them if the memory is not on their approved list. Last, but not least, the boards are so advanced in many areas that there are so many advanced features to deal with that it takes some real work at times to get all the features in sinc and working like you want them to work.

My personal feelings (you knew you could not get by without that) are that there is just not a better board made. They are full featured, run better when configured correctly, and performance wise just have no match in the industry.

I have owned several brand names, but only use ASUS anymore and when I buy a board or put together a computer, just don't bother with the others. Granted, there are some excellent ones out there, but why buy a Chevy when the Cadillac is out there and within the price range that I can afford. That is a slight drawback of the ASUS boards (or should I say new ASUS boards), they are pricey and you can buy some not so popular boards much cheaper as long as you realize that they won't have the full features that most ASUS boards have.

We have purchased many ASUS boards and there has only been one that I had to send back because of problems getting it to post. The company has always been very responsive to me although many will tell you they don't like their service after the sale. What is best is to deal directly with a supplier that will deal with the company so you can send back anthing that does not work.

I need to get off my soapbox and out of here, but wanted to give you my thoughts on the subject (ie: commercial), and NO, I don't work for ASUS or have anything to do with their sales....Just a very satisified customer. Buy the best, forget the rest!

Old 01-23-2005, 04:10 AM   #3

mark3567: When i was reading your post, i was thinking that it should be "another PR...", but when i read it to the end... you are particulary right. Asus have great product line to feed almost anyone's needs and deal very seriously with customers. I had Asus i845 board 2 years ago and it broke down... I send it back and they replaced it with i865 (P4P800-E Deluxe) :shy:

No problems with Asus boards at this time. Lot of good features and greatly adjustable BIOS settings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2005, 11:13 AM   #4

Thanks for the info Mark and Samopal, that was sort of along the lines of the plusses and minuses I was expecting from reading their literature. I'm building from scratch, so buying approved memory won't be a problem. I was sort of surprised though that the recommended memory was not the expensive, high-performance lines of like Corsair but sort of generic, pretty inexpensive Kingston memory and similar kinds.

My current mobo is a P4 Soyo, which was pretty cheap, and I got what I paid for. The onboard audio never worked, the IDE controllers take naps now and again, and I have to go with pretty safe BIOS settings, definitely no overclocking this thing. So spending $269 on a MLB doesn't sound too bad to me if it's the best. Plus, the price will probably drop by the time I am ready to buy, it will be a few months yet.

Is Asus pretty good about not doing product testing at their customer's expense? That's one concern I would have about a new high-end mobo, that there still might be some serious bugs. But I want an Athlon64 motherboard with PCIe and which takes unregistered dual-channel memory, and Asus just recently was the first to bring these out for Athlon64. Otherwise I'd have to go with a Pentium 4 mobo to get these features, and I'd rather not.

Thanks again,

Robert
Old 01-23-2005, 11:23 AM   #5
mark3567

Hi,

In response to your question, all companies rush their products to market probably earlier than they should. One thing I notices is that ASUS continually updates their BIOS programs on a regular basis. Some companies do update the BIOS that is available, but there comes a time very soon when they move on to other things. I think that is a plus for ASUS. Also, it might be wise to wait until the price drops and not buy one as soon as it hits the market. That way, it gives someone else time to get out the bugs. Just my thoughts.

Closed Thread