Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

User Tag List

funky computer startups, please advise!

This is a discussion on funky computer startups, please advise! within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi there, computer decided to shut off on its own. Jump wired the green wire on the 24 pin from

Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 07:52 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi there, computer decided to shut off on its own.
Jump wired the green wire on the 24 pin from PSU to a black wired, and psu fan works.
Hooked it back up, can't start the computer. All i can see is a solid Yellow light on motherboard, but clicking noises from the Power button on computer when i hold on to it. The light on it is usually blue, but it flashes yellow and emits a clicking noise. So we ruled out the psu fo failure.

Step 2, i took out cmos battery and placed a new one, and everything fired up like normal on computer. went to windows and decided to shut her down to try her again. She wouldn't start again! Same symptoms again with the clicking noises, i forgot to mention all the fans moved 1/4 of a revolution but nothing started up. Took battery out, and she starts on her own as soon as i powered the psu. Put battery in, she will start on her own.
The only issue is, with battery first placed in, she fires up only once, after a shutdown she will not fire back up.
Without the cmos battery, she will fire up only if psu is shut off for 1 secs. But i loose all time and date settings on computer. But this is a weird way to start the computer isnt it?

What is wrong? Underpowered psu? Im typing this with computer fully functioning. Motherboard? Why am i still on computer lol. What else is wrong? Please advise.. something fishy going on with something way above my knowledge. Thank you and help!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2019, 09:37 PM   #2
Registered Member

computer has been runnnig for over 3 hours now. if i shut it off, i will never be able to start it again. It will make 'ticking' noises, the fan would seem to go a 1/4 turn but not anymore, nothing happens. But if i take the cmos battery out and hit the psu power on, it will automatically power up on its own, and say "CMOS checksum error - defaults loaded" press F1 to continue. And itll go to windows. So PSU works, Motherboards works as well? I mean, it ran for 3 hours no problem. It just doesnt wanna start unless i take the cmos battery out?
computer restarts fine. but if shut off, it wont start unless i take battery out of cmos . powering it up at power button doesnt work, as soon as i turn power switch on at PSU, the computer automatically fires up on its own. same cmos checksum error, and then hitting f1 to go into windows. Please advise. thank you

Please advise. Thanks
Old 03-05-2019, 12:58 PM   #3
Registered Member

Have you tried another PSU or MB?
Closed Thread