Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

Frustrating Power-On Problem

This is a discussion on Frustrating Power-On Problem within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. 875P NEO P4 Antec True 430 PS System began failing to power on--would just click, click, click. Finally wouldn't power

Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2005, 09:25 AM   #1

Angry

875P NEO P4
Antec True 430 PS

System began failing to power on--would just click, click, click. Finally wouldn't power on at all, just click, click, click, as long as you left it on. Fans run, MB LEDs on, just no action.

Sequentially replaced MB, CPU, RAM, Video board, PS. Symptoms sensitive to PS, but won't fix. Only original PS clicks continously; others click once and sit dead. All trials now have peripherals disconnected--no HDDs, CDs,Monitor, etc. affecting it.

There's nothing left unchanged--everything is brand new again (vendor has been good about replacements under warranty). Only thing left is the case!

Clues: maybe once in 25 tries, it will boot up. Since all tries have been after wiggling connectors, bending MB to check for cracked traces, or fiddling with something, can get no consistent behavior.

Help please?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2005, 09:28 AM   #2

Forgot a couple things:
All power voltages on 20-pin board power connector are correct.
All power voltages are smooth (scoped 'em), except small glitch at time of click on 12V line.
Have pulled battery and reset jumper, checked all connections and hardware setup with book.
Old 06-25-2005, 10:25 AM   #3
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

try it out of the case with
video ram and cpu
and if the m/b requires the extrapower lead make sure it is connected
start it by shorting the two pins the case switch connects to the m/b with a paper clip or something similar

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2005, 10:56 AM   #4

Thanks, DAI. I was thinking of the power switch, although I couldn't make it explain everything in my mind. I have now done these things:
- disconnected both power switch and reset switch from MB, short with screwdriver, same effect.
- checked both switches with ohm meter--OK
- used reset switch as power switch--same effect
- noticed that clicking stops if I hold in the reset switch after starting it with power switch.

I'll remove the MB to the benchtop next.
Old 06-25-2005, 11:27 AM   #5
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

can you tell where the clicking is coming from,try it with the reset disconnected

Old 06-25-2005, 11:44 AM   #6

Clicking is from the speaker. Reset disconnected no effect.
Old 06-25-2005, 01:34 PM   #7

More findings:
I think it is related to the CPU and its socket. By reseating many times I have found differences and finally a seating in which system appears to be working with alternate power supply.
Old 06-26-2005, 10:05 AM   #8
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

i was wondering if the clicking was supposed to be bios beeps,post back if it plays up again

Closed Thread