User Tag List

Flashing BIOS

This is a discussion on Flashing BIOS within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi! I have an ASUS M2V-MX SE motherboard and want to flash the BIOS to update it. The driver disk

Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 05:43 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi! I have an ASUS M2V-MX SE motherboard and want to flash the BIOS to update it. The driver disk has a utility---ASUS update utility. I installed that, started it up, and selected update BIOS from the internet, hit next, and the select a site to download from appears. I click next and get----A newer version application is detected, please click "Next" to update it first, and there's a checked box in the lower left that says---Make a clone of newer application ZIP file. I click next and it downloads the file, then nothing happens. I click cancel a few minutes later, and unzip and look at the file. It has a couple of cab files, some ini files, and 2 setup files---AsusSetup.exe and Setup.exe. I'm guessing this file replaces the current ASUS update utility, but which exe file do I double click? And if this is a newer version of the utility, am I correct in assuming that this will update the BIOS if I install and use it? Any and all responses will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2009, 07:41 PM   #2
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

on the bios download page,look on the left for flashing the bios instructions

because of bad flashes asus usually states to do a dos flash and no longer to use the the update over the internet tool

Old 07-06-2009, 06:35 PM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks for the response. I checked the ASUS site, and the upgrades don't appear to be any improvement. The reason I'm considering this move is that I've tried to do a fresh reinstall of XP, and the install locks up after---Setup is is inspecting your configuration...I've tried 3 different installation disks, all with the same result. I've use microscope, pc pitstop, and sisoft sandra to check the hardware, and everything checks out. I've run scans with AVG anti-virus and spybot search and destroy, and the computer is clean, I can't figure out why the install locks up there. I did a fresh reinstall several months ago with the same disk and had no problems. I recently tried to update the video driver, which didn't work, so I rolled back the driver. I even uninstalled the driver and reinstalled it. The only other thing I've used lately was a flash drive several times, and I safely removed it after each use. I just wondered if the flash drive changed something in the BIOS, although I've looked and can't see any changes, I never really looked at it before, except to change the boot order, but it's fairly simple , so I think a change would be evident. So, I thought if I updated the BIOS, that problem would be eliminated. Should I try it, or leave well enough alone? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2009, 07:00 PM   #4
Emeritus

Asus EZ Flash;
https://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?...e=en-us&page=1
I would run the Hdd manufacturers diagnostic software.

Old 07-07-2009, 04:42 PM   #5
Registered Member

Thanks for the response. I ran the western digital diagnostic, and the hard drive passed. I ran memtest, and no problems. I ran microscope, the motherboard, hard drive, display adaptor, memory, nic--- everything passed. I've run AVG anti-virus and spybot, and the computer is clean. I just can't come up with anything else to check. Any ideas? Thanks.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:57 PM   #6
Registered Member

Thanks for the response. My specs are:

ASUS M2V-MX SE
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
Super Talent 2048MB DDR2 800MHZ
Western Digital WD800JD 80GB SATA2
Lite-on 20X DVD-RW
Nvidia GeFotce 8400GS 512MB
Okia A-Power 500 Watt Power Supply
Old 07-07-2009, 07:35 PM   #7
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

upgrade your psu

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...corsair%2b550w

Old 07-08-2009, 07:38 AM   #8
Registered Member

Thanks for the response. I don't see the power supply as the problem, since everything is working, except I can't reinstall. Thanks.
Closed Thread