Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

fitting a GeForce 6600 GT card?

844 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  ianjefferys 
#1 ·
Can you tell me if I can fit a GeForce 6600 GT graphics card to my A7N266-VM MBoard and expect it to perform as "promised".
I currently run a Geforce 4 Ti 4200 and it is falling short of graphics demand in some new games.
Thankyou.. I'm an old aussie (74) and would like to stay with the MB for a while yet!
Ian

#2 ·
Hi, and welcome.

You can put a 6600GT in that motherboard, so long as you get the AGP version, not the PCI-Express. However, the AGP slot on that board is 4x, whereas the card is 8x. This means that the card won't perform as well as it could. It'll be a fair step up from the Ti4200 though. (I used to own a Ti4200 - nice card, but they are a bit old now.)

#3 ·
thanks Indoril,
I guess that was what I really wanted.. I must now see if I can upgrade my motherboard to Express PCI or whatever and still retain my other gear but so I can take advantage of further upgrades as and when I can afford them. The 1.6 AMD athlon chip is minimal now anyway.
I would like to hear fro anyone who has a reasonbly priced computer that flies with the newer games that are demanding too much of my current board and graphics. Just to know what combos work properly..lots don't I hear!
Thanks again for the info.
Ian the old aussie

#4 ·
There has been information leaked from AMD that the X2 processors are going to drop in price with the release of Intel's new Conroe. Though this isn't big news, as price wars like this often happen, it is released that prices probably will drop as much as 50%!
So, if your looking to buy a new system, I recomend an X2 system, mainly the 4200+, and I suggest you wait until the end of July when the prices will drop. I've been building a new system for myself with the s939 X2 and after the price drop it will be about 6-700 dollars (I'm keeping my old video card and I'll upgrade later). For you, I'd suggest you get the socket AM2 which is the same price, and for $1000, you can easily make a system that flys. It won't play the latest games on all the highest settings, but it certainly will play them well.
My recomendation:
Socket AM2 X2 4200+
ASUS mobo (Look at the SLi versions, as that gives another upgrade path).
2x1Gb dual channeled memory kit, DDR2 667 or preferably DDR2 800.
A new PCIe video card, whatever you like at the time: an x1600 or 7600 will run well, 7900 and x1900 are currently top of the line.

It's up to you if you want a new harddrive or just use your old one.

Also, make sure you get good case cooling: I suggest at least 1 120mm fan in the lower front bringing cool air in, and 1 120mm fan in the upper back for exhaust.

#5 ·
Thanks Ralk,
The actual models lost me but I shall have fun finding the specs and prices.
I certainly can't afford the big bickies that are the case for "popular retail computers" but if I can get a system that flies with the new games and I can get the price down to about total $1500AUD it will be very gratifying. I can wait till august..no problem..I have a few games That I still need to finish till then...(I'm a single player.. an oldie with slower reflexes that can never compete with you younger players!)
regards,
Ian the old aussie

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.