Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

Fan speed detection issue

This is a discussion on Fan speed detection issue within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a ECS Geforce 6100 N Motherboard with Athlon X2 3800+. One problem I am facing is with the

Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 12:03 PM   #1

I have a ECS Geforce 6100 N Motherboard with Athlon X2 3800+. One problem I am facing is with the fan speed detection. When I go into the bios and view "PC Health Status", the RPM for the system fan shows weird values and eventually freezes the bios. When I reboot and try to go into the bios, it wouldn't let me. However, when I bootup to Windows, there are no problems. Eventually, it will let me into the bios again. I also, tried using Speedfan to adjust fan speeds accordingly but it doesnt look like it works.

Question 1:
Since my CPU fan is 3 pin and my motherboard has a 4 pin connector, is there anyway I can have the motherboard adjust the fan speed (adapters, software, whatnot) without getting a new 4 pin fan?

Question 2:
Why might my system fan act up like this? I dont think I attached it wrong.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2007, 12:38 PM   #2
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

get the 4 pin fan

Old 04-30-2007, 12:45 PM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Send a message via ICQ to ebackhus Send a message via AIM to ebackhus Send a message via MSN to ebackhus Send a message via Yahoo to ebackhus Send a message via Skype™ to ebackhus

My CPU fan also has the 3-pin lead while my motherboard supports 4-pin connectors. Depending on the pin layout and the actual leads of the FAN you should be fine, but some monitoring software may be throw out of whack by it.
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New computer wont work :(
Any help would be greatly appreciated, Well i originally posted this in the Asus motherboards support forums but frankly i havent gotten all that much help there i was hoping you guys could give me some more help getting my computer to work and im hoping i dont have to rma some parts but i will...
vulcan1909 Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU 9 01-06-2007 04:32 PM
CPU Fan Speed
Hello Everybody, Can anyone out there please tell me ' a rule of thumb' speed for a CPU fan? The Specs of mine are.... Intel Celeron® D 2.66Ghz Prescott Processor in a LGA 775 Package from Intel®, that's mounted on a MSI PM8M2-V Motherboard with VIA® P4M800 + 8237R Chipset Based. My...
chauffeur2 Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU 2 06-29-2006 06:08 AM
HP Proliant ML370 Fan Speed
Hello, I have a server thats next to me and rather noisy, is there a way to spin the fans slower? i have tried speed fan but it hangs at the probe point. i have also tried to remove some of the fans but the system shuts down.. (safety feature) any help./suggestions would be brill. ...
mordzy Other Hardware Support 2 05-18-2006 02:16 AM
Please Help, all kinds of BSODs in XP
Hi, I am new to this forum and I desperately need help. I have all kinds of BSODs happening when I play games (Rome: Total War). Here are the BSODs I have been getting: 0x50 - with reference to nv4_disp.dll 0x8E - with reference to nv4_disp.dll 0xA - this is related to one of my faulty...
sunten Windows XP Support 4 02-04-2005 02:39 PM
Can't Run Speed Disk & Netscape Scroll Issue
I'm using a G3 long ago upgraded to G4 and running OS 9.1. I always run Disk Doctor prior to defrag but when I run Speed Disk I get a dialog box stating it can't defrag because the drive is damaged. Disk Doctor shows no problems with the drive. Also, when scrolling the browser window in Netscape...
JabboDog Mac Support 0 01-02-2005 11:53 AM