Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

Dual Processor CPU, random spike

This is a discussion on Dual Processor CPU, random spike within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Everytime i play a game (warcraft 3, Call of duty 4, Supreme Commander, World in Conflict, company of heroes etc)

Closed Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 10:45 PM   #1

Everytime i play a game (warcraft 3, Call of duty 4, Supreme Commander, World in Conflict, company of heroes etc) i'd get these random 10-30 second CPU lag spikes that come atleast every 4-5 mins which makes the game unplayable apart from that everything runs smooth on max graphics i even tried to put the graphics down to its lowest settings and the lag spikes still come.

I've tried almost every solution i could find on the net, reformatting my computer( even downgraded from Vista to XP sp2), updating my drives, setting my process affinity and priority, downloading the amd omptimizer and even desperate measure which involved editing my boot.ini and registry.. all i got from it was 3 blue screens and the same random lag but it only happens when i play games.

Happy days i guess, my system specs:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+ 3.01 GHz - Voltage 1.450V.
2.00 GB of Ram
Nvidia GeForce 8500GT, 512 ram
Realtek HD

Core Temp:
Core #0: 48C
Core #1: 49C

Some advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2008, 06:36 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

install the amd dual core optimizer

other then that the only thnig i could pin it on is that 8500's have known issues with amd cpus
Old 03-25-2008, 07:28 AM   #3

thanks for the reply, i've tried downloading the amd optimizer but the problem is that it refuses to run as in wont respond or windows will not let it function.. i downloaded this windows update to compensate for it (the one that fixes a bug for dual processing cores) reduced the cpu spiking abit but barely noticable.

I've even tried removing an old 1gb ram stick was from my old computer made abit of a difference as instead of freezing for a 10-30 seconds it slowly struggles through it instead.. are there any other options?

On friday i'm probably gonna look for a replacement video card but i'm not quite sure which runs smooth on a amd 64 x2 dual core 6000+.

Thanks!

Edit: How are GeForce 8600 cards in terms of compatibility with amd?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2008, 03:53 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

8600's are fine it was just the 8500 for some reason

bad ram could be it run memtest in my sig one stick of ram at a time
Old 03-27-2008, 11:16 PM   #5

Got a new GeForce 8600GT, but the lag is still there but i noticed that the lower i put the voltage down the faster my comp becomes, at the moment i got to 1.375 safely can do 1.350 but when the lag does come back around 30 mins approx just one minor freeze is enough to cause my comp to freeze and i have to reboot.. i've also realised that whilst using AMD power monitor that one cpu is at 100% whilst the other is 0% even when the affinity is set on both cpu.

But yeah is there any other way of setting the voltage down safely besides CPUID? man dual processors are the worst :(.

thanks.

P.S. the default voltage when it starts up is 1.450 volts which is max.
Closed Thread