Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

dont know whats the problem

This is a discussion on dont know whats the problem within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. my friends hdd is producing a noisy sound here's his pc spec: cpu: AMD Athlon 64 +5200 mobo: GA-MA78GM-S2H ram:

Closed Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 12:00 AM   #1
Registered Member

my friends hdd is producing a noisy sound

here's his pc spec:
cpu: AMD Athlon 64 +5200
mobo: GA-MA78GM-S2H
ram: ddr2 2gb
gpu: MSI ATI RX2400
psu: 400w
hdd: WD(blue) 250gb SATA
rom: 1x dvd rom IDE
1x cd rom IDE

he's pc is fine, he can play games, surf the net, watch movie, the only problem is when i tried to unrar a huge file, hiss hdd starts to produce a noise, and it only stop if i tried to pause or stop the unrar thing, i tried to replace hiss hdd with my spare but they both have the same results, and when i touch the hdd its super hot.. im thinking due to it overheating thats why its produces that sound? can a hdd produce sound when its overheating? its like a squeaking long high pitch sound, and when the hdd is cooled down it gets back on being normal until it gets overheat again, last night he tried playing all night and nothing happened, then this morning i asked him to try to use winrar again and unrar something, then the sound came again.. what seems to be the rpoblem? is his psu not enough to power all the things inside his computer? or his mobo is not good, i know that AMD's cons are they are easy to get overheated, is thta the problem? need to sort out need help thanks

*dont know if this is the right board to post my problem
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2010, 07:49 AM   #2
Enthusiast

My System

go into the bios and post the temperatures and voltages.

Also is the sound like scratching or clicking sound? if so that would indicate that the platters/ read write heads on the hdd are failing.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:57 AM   #3
Emeritus

It's possible two Hd's would have the same symptoms but not probable.
Brand of the 400W PSU?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2010, 01:02 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbrucelee View Post
go into the bios and post the temperatures and voltages.

Also is the sound like scratching or clicking sound? if so that would indicate that the platters/ read write heads on the hdd are failing.
i'll ask him to check his temp,dont know how to best describe the sound, more of like a small wheel that needs an oil sound,,thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyree View Post
It's possible two Hd's would have the same symptoms but not probable.
Brand of the 400W PSU?
PSU brand is Magic, i'll try if can ask him to take pictures and i'll post it here thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Computerwiz View Post
your hdd is gonna get damagd if you dont get some cooling on it. the head is probably expanding from that heat. if it expands too much it will start to hit against the platter damaging it. back up you files before its too late
i see, i'll ask him to put one thanks

so until i post the temp and psu pic here we cant identify what causing the squeaky sound,,what i'm puzzled most is that even i change it with my spare hdd(brand new) they got same result when i try to use winrar..
Old 07-12-2010, 01:14 PM   #5
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

Is the rar file good, sometimes a corrupt file will make the drive thrash trying to read it.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:24 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench97 View Post
Is the rar file good, sometimes a corrupt file will make the drive thrash trying to read it.
yes, rar file is working, i tried in on my brother's pc and works fine, no squeaky sound it unrar smoothly, tried it on my fathers pc too, tho a little slow coz his pc is pentium 3 and low ram but works fine too

here's the picture of his psu

temperature:

i forgot that he has this big cpu fan as well
Old 07-12-2010, 09:56 PM   #7
Enthusiast

My System

Voltages and temps look akayish apart from the dram voltage. It should be set to 1.8 why is it at 1.9?

test the ram with memtest86 with one stick installed at a time for several passes.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:05 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Voltages and temps look akayish apart from the dram voltage. It should be set to 1.8 why is it at 1.9?

test the ram with memtest86 with one stick installed at a time for several passes.
ok, he got only one stick, by testing one at a time you mean try testing it in four different slot one at a time?
Old 07-12-2010, 10:08 PM   #9
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Just test the one stick in one slot for several passes on the program

If you have 2 sticks swap them out on test the second one the same as the first
Old 07-12-2010, 11:48 PM   #10
Enthusiast

My System

If there is only one tsick test it in all the slots for several passes. Memtest can take an hour for one full test so it could take a while.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:25 AM   #11
Troubled

I'd be looking to see what the temperature of the hard drive is really running at before assuming it's too hot. Some hard drives get quite hot to touch while operating at normal temperatures, especially on a warm day and if inside a case without good airflow. It's not necessarily anything to worry about.

The sound you're hearing may be due to hard drive activity but it mightn't be the hard drive causing it. It could be coming from a motherboard component while the hard drive is active. Is it a high pitched "electronic" type sound rather than a mechanical sound? Are you 100% sure it's coming from the hard drive?

Do a Google for HWMonitor and install it to see what temperature the hard drive is running at.

There's plenty of RAM which runs at a voltage higher than 1.8v so there's nothing to suggest your MB is getting it wrong or it "should" be set to 1.8v.

I doubt you'll find anything wrong with the RAM. I suspect a component on the MB is failing.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:31 AM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgn View Post
Just test the one stick in one slot for several passes on the program

If you have 2 sticks swap them out on test the second one the same as the first
no error found on memtest86

Quote:
If there is only one tsick test it in all the slots for several passes. Memtest can take an hour for one full test so it could take a while.
no error found on memtest86

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_there View Post
I'd be looking to see what the temperature of the hard drive is really running at before assuming it's too hot. Some hard drives get quite hot to touch while operating at normal temperatures, especially on a warm day and if inside a case without good airflow. It's not necessarily anything to worry about.

The sound you're hearing may be due to hard drive activity but it mightn't be the hard drive causing it. It could be coming from a motherboard component while the hard drive is active. Is it a high pitched "electronic" type sound rather than a mechanical sound? Are you 100% sure it's coming from the hard drive?

Do a Google for HWMonitor and install it to see what temperature the hard drive is running at.

There's plenty of RAM which runs at a voltage higher than 1.8v so there's nothing to suggest your MB is getting it wrong or it "should" be set to 1.8v.

I doubt you'll find anything wrong with the RAM. I suspect a component on the MB is failing.
that's what im thinking the first time i check his pc, maybe his mobo is not that good, when i try to listen to the sound i'm certain it's coming from the hdd, and i dont know why his ram is set to 1.9v

Old 07-13-2010, 12:46 PM   #13
Troubled

The same sound coming from your hard drive too, but only in that PC???

The RAM voltage is most likely nothing to worry about. The BIOS in this PC has it's RAM voltage set to "auto" and it runs it at 1.86v. I checked my house mate's PC just out of curiosity and it's running his at 1.88v.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:00 PM   #14
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

Depends on the voltage the ram is rated for, 1.9v is not out of the realm of possibilities.
Use CPUz to get the brand and part numbers of the sticks(on the spd tab).
https://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php
Old 07-13-2010, 04:38 PM   #15
Registered Member

when i look at the bios the ram voltage is set to 1.96v, same as the pic i post above

*note
his gpu is not rx instead MSI ATI HD2400
Old 07-13-2010, 10:13 PM   #16
Enthusiast

My System

have a look at the sticker on the ram and see what it says for the voltage
Old 07-14-2010, 01:58 AM   #17
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

upgrade

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...corsair%2b550w

Old 07-14-2010, 03:21 AM   #18
Troubled

Quote:
Originally Posted by dai View Post
Do work on some sort of commission basis?
Old 07-14-2010, 04:03 AM   #19
Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_naresh2004 View Post
hi
I am using windows xp in my desk top pc. in this pc unnecerly creating files automatically in this given path:-"C:\DOCUME~1\NARESH"
If we delete the all files with in seconds it is again creating same files nealy 19-25 thousnds of files are creating. what is the problm.
start your own thread in the appropriate forum.

It is not polite to hijack someone elses thread.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:30 AM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:
have a look at the sticker on the ram and see what it says for the voltage
nothing says on the ram sticker
i only see on one sticker:
AD-280000 2GOU(ADQUE1B16)
DDR2 800(5) 2Gx16 U-DIMM
M2OAD6H3J4I71Q1E52

small sticker:
AD-DDRII 800/2G RAM
64834CB015260

I ask him to send me pictures of his BIOS setup, then i'll post it here for you guys to check if there's wrong in his setup
Closed Thread