Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

Do I need a new motherboard?

This is a discussion on Do I need a new motherboard? within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, so apologies in advance if it isn't... Anyway,

Closed Thread

Old 08-13-2005, 11:14 AM   #1
Registered Member

Question

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, so apologies in advance if it isn't...

Anyway, recently I came to find my computer had crashed (or, at least, the screen was frozen), but upon pressing the reset button, my monitor denied receiving anything whatsoever from the computer, despite an apparent reset having taken place. Anyway, at first I assumed there was a faulty connection to the monitor, but after some adjustment to no avail the computer just turned itself off entirely, but this time it wouldn't turn back on. The power button was completely unresponsive.

I tried and failed to get it working using the monitor power cable, then replaced the PSU at first, which had no effect. The replacement PSU had it's own power switch at the back which, when I turned on, caused the fan to spin once, but the main power button still had no effect and nothing I could do would make any other fans spin at all. So, is there anything else I could try, or do I need a new motherboard?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2005, 11:18 AM   #2
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

try touching the two pins the case switch connects to the m/b with a paperclip or something similar to check if it is the case switch

Old 08-13-2005, 12:01 PM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks for replying, doesn't seem to work, though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2005, 12:07 PM   #4
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

if you lost the power supply it could have taken other components with it,was the new one you put in large enought to run the system
check for any signs of discolouration where the supply plugs into the m/b and the old p/s plug
set it up out of the case where you can get a good look at the m/b to see if there is any damage,just set it up with
video
cpu
ram
and start it by touching the two pins

Old 08-14-2005, 05:01 AM   #5
Registered Member

Done, still no results... I can't see any obvious discolouration on the motherboard or PSU, either. I'm not sure it was the PSU that's the problem now, since the new one doesn't seem to be working any better.

I assumed it was large enough to run the system, but I'm not sure how similar the power supplies would need to be... Both new and old were 300w with an input voltage of 230v... Would I need to take anything else into consideration?
Old 08-14-2005, 10:11 AM   #6
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

check your power requirements here
https://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/
based on a quality supply and add 30% to the result
300w is very light on for a comp after win 98,when you replace a power supply it is a good investment to get a more powerful one,not one the same size
and a waste of money buying a cheap generic supply
have you tried another power point and power cable

Old 08-14-2005, 12:16 PM   #7
Registered Member

Ahh, this is the first time I've had to replace a power supply, so I assumed it was best to get one as close to what I had as possible to avoid any problems. I've been using the 300w one for over a year without any problems, though, so it doesn't seem that likely that too small a power supply would suddenly stop things powering up at all... Yes, I tried a different power cable and plug socket.
Old 08-14-2005, 12:29 PM   #8
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

check your requirements

Old 08-14-2005, 12:44 PM   #9
Registered Member

I did, it came to 312 with everything connected (*1.3 = 406, so a 450v supply would be best, I assume), but only 193 with only CPU, RAM and video card connected.
Old 08-14-2005, 02:03 PM   #10
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

pull the ram and see if you receive any beeps,if you have two sticks try one at a time in different slots

Closed Thread