Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

do i need a new mobo, cpu, video card or psu?

This is a discussion on do i need a new mobo, cpu, video card or psu? within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. this story might be a little long, but i want you guys to know the details. i bought a brand

Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 02:51 AM   #1
Registered Member

this story might be a little long, but i want you guys to know the details.

i bought a brand new Dell XPS 420 2 years ago and ever since i got it, its been having problems.

when i turned on the pc, the only thing that would go on is the video cards fan and it would spin really really loud forever. i would have to unplug the cord like 20 times before it would start. once the pc starts, it worked perfect, but if i had to restart it, the only thing that would go on is the video card fan.

the dell support guys are all fags and didnt do anything except made me run a million useless tests that all turned out fine.

later, i bought a new 700watt power supply and the problem dissapeared for like a week. than no matter how many times i would restart the pc, it wouldnt boot and only the fan on the video card worked. so i bought another, more expensive 700watt psu and nothing started, it never booted.

the old xps 420 specs... quad core Q6600 2.4GHZ proccessor, 3GB of ram 512MB X 2 + 1GB X 2. Nvidia geforce 8800GT video card. 425WATT psu. 320GB HDD.

i than bought a new Gigabyte EP43-UD3L MOBO, got 4 sticks of 2GB G Skill RAM and a new tower+cpu cooling fan.

put everything together, installed windows 7 64bit and it ran really good. but, after running the pc for like 4 minutes it became really really slow to a point that even the mouse wouldnt move. later on, the psu went dead. i took it out and put it into my old pc and it didnt work, so i know as a fact that the psu is dead for sure.

when the pc ran, the video card ran really hot, to a point if u touch it u could burn yourself. about 80C at idle and never had a chance to put a load on it.

i did took my old psu "425 watt" stuck it into the new system and when i turned it on, the only things that work are the fans, cpu fan, video card fan and the tower cooling fans.

so what do you think do i need?

im planing on going and buying a new "ATI Radeon™ HD 5670" video card and some random 500 or 600 watt power supply.

any ideas or suggestions? could it be my cpu or mobo?

thanks in advance...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2010, 03:50 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

What were the brand name and wattage of the power supplies you have tried in there?BTW, a 425 watt power supply is not enough for the 8800 video card you have. You need a QUALITY 550 as a bare minimum to run that card.
Old 06-03-2010, 04:10 AM   #3
Registered Member

the 425 watt psu was the stock on the dell. the ones i bought and the one that i just recently burnt up was a coolmaster 700 Watt. the one i bought and returned cuz the pc didnt work i believe was a Thermaltake 700 or 750 watt one...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2010, 04:18 AM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

Quote:
im planing on going and buying a new "ATI Radeon™ HD 5670" video card and some random 500 or 600 watt power supply.
Don't even try to go there with this video card. You need a BARE minimum of a Seasonic or Corsair (great brand name) 650 watt power supply and I would recommend that you even consider a 750 watt major brand for that video card. If you do this, you are simply asking for trouble. Some of the 750's are presently on sale and close to the 650 price. BRAND name IS important in a power supply.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:01 AM   #5
Emeritus

Corsair 750W $109.99. Use Promo Code EMCYTYP27 to make it $101.99.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139006

Old 06-03-2010, 07:15 PM   #6
Registered Member

i went to frys this morning and bought a corsair 750 watt PSU. plugged it in, booted right up, after about 20 minutes of running it slowed down so bad that it froze and i had to pull the plug.

so i tried different ram. i inserted 2 sticks of 2GB G Skill 1066 and its the same problem.

i upped the voltage from the stock 1.8 to 2.1 as it says onn the ram. same problem, after a few minutes of running fine it just slows down and than freezes...

so, i have a new video card that i bought today "ati radeo hd 5670", a new 750 WATT corsair PSU, a new mobo, new ram... is the problem by any chance the mobo=cpu-hard drives?
Old 06-04-2010, 04:14 AM   #7
TSF Team, Emeritus

Puzzling to say the least. What hard drives do you have in this rig and please list type and brand name?

Have you run the manufacturer's diagnostics on your hard drives?

Hard Drive Utilities

How much free space do you have on these drives?

Rarely do we see a CPU problem, so that normally is the last place we look.
Closed Thread