User Tag List

Difference?

This is a discussion on Difference? within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Ok, so I havn't really been keeping up with the new technology, what is the difference between a PCI slot

Closed Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 11:26 PM   #1

Ok, so I havn't really been keeping up with the new technology, what is the difference between a PCI slot and a PCI expansion slot? Does this also mean that the PCI cards i have will not work in these slots and are then completely usless on a motherboard with those slots?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2005, 11:42 PM   #2

A PCI slot and a PCI expansion slot are the same thing.

A PCI EXPRESS slot, however, is different. Basically it's the latest technology for Graphics Cards, besting AGP 8x by double. It has a new pin configuration, so your old PCI Cards will not work in it.

You can get a nice little introduction here --> https://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1087
Old 12-31-2005, 09:51 AM   #3

Are the PCI expansion slots the little one inch long things i see when i look at a mobo where there are usually full length pci slots? And if so, how would my normal PCI card fit in it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2005, 10:22 AM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Send a message via ICQ to ebackhus Send a message via AIM to ebackhus Send a message via MSN to ebackhus Send a message via Yahoo to ebackhus Send a message via Skype™ to ebackhus
Actually, PCI-Express has yet to best AGP8x as AGP8x still hasn't been fully utilitized.

PCI slots are 32-bit connectors that can accept a very wide range of expansion cards: video, sound, scanner, IDE, SCSI, parallel, etc. Only one card can be inserted into a slot and your only limitation is the number of slots actually available.

What you describe sounds like a PCI-Express 4x or 8x slot.
Closed Thread