Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

User Tag List

Did I damage my motherboard?

This is a discussion on Did I damage my motherboard? within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. This is my second Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi from Amazon. The first one had a few bent fan headers,

Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 01:46 PM   #1
Registered Member

Roll Eyes

This is my second Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi from Amazon. The first one had a few bent fan headers, so I exchanged it for a new one. This time I managed to damage it all by myself! While installing a defective ASUS RTX 2080 graphics card I picked up on eBay, I didn't immediately realize that the I/O shield was badly bent and contorted so it was sharp, and it scratched the PCB and the cover of the Audio driver thing (idk what it's called, pictured below). One of the scratches exposed a sliver of copper on the board's surface. Does it look safe to boot? Is this cause for serious concern? All my parts are brand new besides the graphics card which caused this issue, and of course I'll be returning that. I cannot exchange the board again. I would have to get a full refund now and I would prefer to keep the board because I got it on sale for a good price and I really like it.

Photos:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2019, 06:24 PM   #2
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Hi and Welcome to TSF!

The scratches in the second picture are nothing to be of concern. As for the PCB, it doesn't look like it's enough harm to cause harm. I would attempt to boot.
Closed Thread