Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

User Tag List

Desktop PC Won't Power On

This is a discussion on Desktop PC Won't Power On within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi all, I've had my custom built PC (ordered online) for just over a year and up until now I

Closed Thread

Old 09-07-2019, 11:49 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi all,
I've had my custom built PC (ordered online) for just over a year and up until now I haven't had any problems with it at all. Its been used pretty intensively since I've got it (used every day, pretty much all day and often left on overnight).

About two weeks ago I was away from home for a week, where the computer was turned off but left plugged in. I came home and tried to turn it on, but absolutely nothing happens. I check and see that the lights on the motherboard light up (including the 'PWR' light on the motherboard), and anything plugged in the USB ports will light up and/or charge, but nothing happens when I try and power it on. No power on lights, no fans kick in, nothing.

I've tried unplugging everything, taking out the RAM, using a different power cable, but nothings changed.
The other day I was talking to someone and they mentioned that there was a heavy thunderstorm here around the week when I was away, so that's pretty much the only theory I have at the moment that might explain it. But other than that, I haven't a clue.

My specs are as follows:
Windows 10 Home 64bit
Intel i7 8700
Arctic Cooling Freezer 12
Corsair 550w PSU
120gb SSD
Nvidia Geforce GTX1050ti
32gb Ram
Asus TUF B360-PRO GAMING (Intel B360) Motherboard

If anyone has any ideas or advice I would greatly appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2019, 12:57 PM   #2
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

Hi I would check the power supply.

Mark thread solved under thread tools when issue has been resolved.
Old 09-07-2019, 02:19 PM   #3
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

I believe you Corsair PSU (depending on model) is still under warranty.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2019, 03:03 PM   #4
Registered Member

I actually brought the pc into a local repair shop and the guy said he checked the power cable and PSU with no luck. But wouldn't the lights on the motherboard already rule out the PSU as the cause anyway?

Assuming he actually did check it, I think that would leave either the power on button not working correctly, or possibly the CMOS battery?
Old 09-07-2019, 03:31 PM   #5
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Hate to say it, but storm could have taken out the MOBO.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 09-07-2019, 03:33 PM   #6
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team

Quote:
I check and see that the lights on the motherboard light up (including the 'PWR' light on the motherboard), and anything plugged in the USB ports will light up and/or charge, but nothing happens when I try and power it on.
This would lead me to believe that it's 1 of 2 things; the mobo or the CPU. It still could be the PSU but the only way to verify that is to swap out the PSU with a known working one.The only way to verify mobo and CPU is to swap those out as well.

Quote:
The other day I was talking to someone and they mentioned that there was a heavy thunderstorm here around the week when I was away, so that's pretty much the only theory I have at the moment that might explain it.
This is why one should unplug everything from the power outlet of if using a power surge protector to unplug that as well, when one is leaving for an extended period of time.
Old 09-07-2019, 03:35 PM   #7
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

You had it at a repair shop it should of been easy enough to test everything out and tell what's wrong with it. Just because you got lights on mobo doesn't mean power supply is good.

Mark thread solved under thread tools when issue has been resolved.
Old 09-07-2019, 05:17 PM   #8
Game Team Tech

how to do a simple test

see if you have any luck
Old 09-10-2019, 05:37 AM   #9
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

The problem with simple bench testing is that there is no load on the unit. A PSU can pass a simple bench test and still not work or work properly to power the computer. It will find an actual failed unit that has no output, but it doesn't test if the output is correct or if it's correct under load. Just something to keep in mind.

The only true test, as noted above, is to swap it out.

As to the actual problem, as noted, most likely causes are the motherboard or power supply. Power switches do fail, but not often. And it's not a likely failure to occur from sitting unused. You can test that theory by simply shorting the power switch pins on the MB.

And I agree about the repair shop. If they didn't do enough testing to tell you exactly what was wrong, or at least what they suspect is wrong, I would not go back. That's like taking your car into the shop because it won't start and they tell you the battery is good and give it back...and it still doesn't start. What's the point?

Closed Thread