Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

User Tag List

Desktop PC won't power on

This is a discussion on Desktop PC won't power on within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. HP Pavilion Slimline Desktop (10 years old with Athlon X2 Dual Core CPU) will not power on -- nothing at

Closed Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 02:44 PM   #1
Registered Member

HP Pavilion Slimline Desktop (10 years old with Athlon X2 Dual Core CPU) will not power on -- nothing at all when I press the Power button on the case.

Here's what I have tried so far: I checked the output of all pins on the 24-pin power supply/motherboard connector after jumpering pins 15 and 16; all voltages were good.

There is an ON/OFF switch on the front of the case with two black wires that go to a connector in the corner of the motherboard. (Connector also has the Power LED and the HD LED wires.)
I checked the switch for continuity with a multimeter. When depressed, I get continuity, so the switch seems to be working fine.
I think the next most likely problem is a failed motherboard, or perhaps a bad CPU.

What are your thoughts on this problem? What further testing should I do? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2019, 05:04 PM   #2
Game Team Tech

psu unit replace it, or clean the fans inside, cpu cooler clean the fans check for thermal paste if not buy a new cpu fan cooler. also check the power switch for the case and any leads if it still won't power on. replace the cmos battery. Do you have any issues before it died? when was the last time you used it?
Old 01-06-2019, 05:11 PM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply. PC hasn't been powered up in a while -- several weeks. No issues when it was last used. Why do you recommend replacing power supply when it runs and has proper voltages, and its fan spins? I did replace the CMOS battery and no change. As I stated, the case power switch is working properly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2019, 05:29 PM   #4
Moderator, Editor, Articles Team

My System

Hi, and welcome to TSF.

What make and model number is your psu?

Submit New Articles Here

Help us to help you by posting your System Specs
Old 01-06-2019, 05:48 PM   #5
Registered Member

The PSU has the following identification:
P/N PC8046
HP P/N 504996-001 Rev A
Old 01-07-2019, 02:06 AM   #6
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

The motherboard is most likely gone.
Old 01-07-2019, 07:12 AM   #7
Registered Member

Thanks for the replies. Since this is a backup PC, and given its age, I will just salvage the HD and forego fixing it.
Closed Thread