Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

User Tag List

Dell Optiplex 9010 freezes sporadically

This is a discussion on Dell Optiplex 9010 freezes sporadically within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Our public library has seven Dell Optiplex 9010 computers that were donated by a local bank. They have Intel core

Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By Stancestans
Closed Thread

Old 11-21-2019, 09:00 AM   #1
Registered Member

Our public library has seven Dell Optiplex 9010 computers that were donated by a local bank. They have Intel core i7 3.40 Ghz chips, 4 GB RAM. They came with Windows 7 32b, and were set to boot in Legacy mode. I upgraded them to Windows 10 32b and they began periodically freezing on patrons or while idle. Not often, just often enough to be concerning.

I wiped the drives, installing 64b windows 10 and deleting the existing partitions, setting them to UEFI & secure boot, thinking I had a weird software problem. That didn't work - they still occasionally freeze, and have to be powered off by holding the power button down and restarting.

I made sure the usb keyboard and mouse were plugged in to the USB 2.0 port. I ran complete diagnostics at boot and found no errors.

They are protected with Faronics Deep Freeze, which means any log files are erased when they shut off. Turning that off would be problematic for patron confidentiality.

I'm not sure what else to do. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2019, 06:03 PM   #2
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team

Does this happen to all the PC's or just a select few?

!. Do the Dells support windows 10 by way of drivers?

2. Does the library have an offical IT department?

3. Faronics Deep Freeze, from what I can tell is system image backup and deployment service. Not sure of the "log files are erased when turned off" is. I would think would stored for diagnostics at a later time if needed.
Old 11-22-2019, 07:33 AM   #3
Registered Member

When the computer is "frozen" with Deep Freeze, a reboot returns the computer to the state it was in when frozen, erasing any changes that may have occurred since that time. All updates and changes must be made when the computer is in a "thawed" state.

All of the Dell Inspiron 9010 computers seem to be affected, and only those. We have about 18 public computers in total. Dell's website says the Optiplex 9010 supports Windows 10.

I'm afraid I am the IT department, relying on occasional assistance from the city's IT Department.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2019, 11:08 AM   #4
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team

The only common denominator I can see is the software "Deep Freeze" as the culprit.

You say you have 18 PC's are all of them Dell's? What are the other brands you have?

What version of Deep Freeze are you running? Have you contacted Deep Freeze about your issue?
Old 11-22-2019, 10:59 PM   #5
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Since all the 9010s and only them are affected, I would isolate one of them, wipe it clean and install Windows 10 x64 and nothing else except Windows 10 drivers obtained from Dell, not Windows Update (disable automatic online searching and installation of drivers). Use it just like a patron would, see if it freezes. If it does, you can rule out deep freeze and troubleshoot model-specific setup, for example, firmware updates for any component that needs it.
bob333 and SpareChange like this.
Old 12-26-2019, 08:06 AM   #6
Registered Member

I unfroze DeepFreeze on one of the Dell Optiplex 9010 computers that are still freezing periodically, so that log files would remain following their next freeze-up. Is there something in particular I should be looking for in EventViewer?
Closed Thread