Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

Dell Inspiron 15 not charging

This is a discussion on Dell Inspiron 15 not charging within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a light on the charging box for my power adapter, but it was plugged in to the laptop

Closed Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 08:11 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have a light on the charging box for my power adapter, but it was plugged in to the laptop for awhile and the laptop wasn't charging. Then the laptop died. I took out the battery to see if that would help. I'm not sure if the power adapter is bad. When I press power the computer tries to start up and then dies in a second. How do I know what part is bad and what should I do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2017, 05:07 PM   #2
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

My System

Is the light still on for the power supply?

Sounds like a faulty power supply.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:41 PM   #3
Registered Member

Yes, the light is on. But I wondered if the wire was broken (the end leading into the input on the laptop).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2017, 10:27 AM   #4
Registered Member

Can anyone help?
Old 12-16-2017, 03:06 PM   #5
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by usingpc View Post
Yes, the light is on. But I wondered if the wire was broken (the end leading into the input on the laptop).
Why do you think that?
Old 12-17-2017, 10:51 AM   #6
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

OS: W10P64 10.0.19041.264; W7U64; W7P64; XPP32; Zorin; Slax; Ubuntu; Kali (BackTrack); Android 6.01

Yes, the laptop's female power input jack could be damaged. The most common I've seen is where it is broken loose from the motherboard. Inserting and/or removing the the power adapter too roughly, or at an angle, can break the solder joint(s) loose. The only way to fix it is to remove the motherboard, and fix or replace the damaged jack.

If you have a multimeter, you can check and see if the power adapter is delivering the right amount of power. It should say on it somewhere how much power it is designed to deliver. (Usually between 10 to 24V DC).
Old 12-25-2017, 02:08 PM   #7
Troubled

Although you got some useful answers but, you can also go through the relevant discussion on Dell official community. I hope this will help you Inspiron 15 7537 ? Battery Plugged In, Not Charging - General Hardware - Laptop - Dell Community
Closed Thread