Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

Criteria for judging CPUs?

This is a discussion on Criteria for judging CPUs? within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey, I've been researching different aspects of computer hardware to get myself more acquainted with what's going on inside these

Closed Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 03:22 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hey, I've been researching different aspects of computer hardware to get myself more acquainted with what's going on inside these machines and to give myself a better perspective. I was wondering how exactly would one judge a CPU? What makes one CPU better than another and how would we compare them?

Also from what I understand my current computers CPU, or motherboard I think, has a socket 478. Could someone please elaborate on what that is and compare it to more recent technologies?

I also have these same kinds of questions for about every other part of a computer but I'm not sure if I need to make separate threads for those in the appropriate forum so I guess I'll play it safe for now lol.

Any information would be very appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2011, 05:38 AM   #2
Emeritus

All CPU's are basically good.
478 is the number of pins made on the chip.
That number increases with advances in technology to make them operate more efficiently and that makes them faster.
The best way to learn about the intended use for a component is research.
Google is your friend.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:49 PM   #3
Registered Member

I understand what you mean, but sometimes getting somebody who already is familiar with this information and having them summarize a lot of it can be a nice compliment to the research your already doing. For instance, somebody could mention interesting terms or concepts related to the subject which I could then research and give me a wider perspective on what I was originally curious about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2011, 11:28 PM   #4
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

Here's a better approach for you. Do your research, first. If there is a particular concept you find you do not understand, post a specific question.
Closed Thread