Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

cpu usage 90-100% sound & mouse pointer choppy

This is a discussion on cpu usage 90-100% sound & mouse pointer choppy within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. hi all im new to this forum but im sure someone can help me with my problem. im running windows

Closed Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 10:20 AM   #1

hi all
im new to this forum but im sure someone can help me with my problem.
im running windows XP 2002 SP2 have 1gbRAM and athlon64processor.

How it Happened
i was downloading something on uTorrent, playing an album using Media Monkey and was running a DVDdiscdrive speed check using ahead nero. when i started doing the speed check i noticed the computer seemed to slow right down. it was working its way through the speed check when i was in media monkey and pressed next track but nothing happened,i repeated it couple of times then the music stalled and everything locked up for a few moments.
at this time the musc was still playing but it kept looping around in 7 second cycles. i was not playing music from a cd, it was on the hard drive.the music proceeded to play in a very jumpy manner about every 1/4 second playing and jumping.
i eventually managed to close off the media player and then i closed off uTorrent then i closed off the nero speed check which had finished and the program itself.

earlier in the day i had been using Sonic Recordnow software to backup films to DVDs. the reason i went into Nero is because i had closed off Sonic and it wouldnt open again.that last part is a regular occurrence on my computer.even when i am shutting down windows and have been using RecordNow in that session, a message appears saying it is not finishd and do i want to end now, i always say yes. everytime i'm finished with RecordNow, i close it properly and that seems to be it

Symptoms
So after rebooting my computer i noticed it was painfully slow and the Windows xp opening sound was choppy and in the same way i heard the music crashing on the media player. when i moved the mouse it was choppy as well and it took ages to eventually load up windows. i tried playing a song on both media players but still choppy. i tried playing one of the movies on DVD drive but still choppy.

when i go to task manager, the processor seems to be always sitting between 90-100% when doing miniscule tasks.my computer is still doing the same. im not sure if its a Processor/sound/cddrive problem.

What i tried

the first thing i tried was to run a Uniblue RegistryBooster2 scan on it and do a spyware scan and it did nothing.

i went to RUN command and into MSCONFIG to deselect the programmes that automatically boot when starting the computer, but no real help.

i tried a system restore to 3 days,5 days 7days 2 weeks ago 3 weeks ago but the computer isnt completing it.

i rebooted the computer and when booting pressed F5 to get into the DOS based Windows Advanced Options menu.i tried to get it to reboot to the last known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked) and still nothing.

i did a test on hardware and drivers using and it told me everything was working fine.

Solutions
if anyone out there has had similar problems and then managed to fix them could they please let me know the soution. I am out of ideas. I am trully stumped.

thanks

gazgav
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread