Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

User Tag List

CPU that runs cool?

This is a discussion on CPU that runs cool? within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Is there any Non-wireless (desktop) CPU that runs cool (like the Fit PC-2) yet can accommodate Win7 or even Win-10?

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By satrow
  • 1 Post By satrow
Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 11:34 PM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Is there any Non-wireless (desktop) CPU that runs cool (like the Fit PC-2) yet can accommodate Win7 or even Win-10?

I'm electrosensitive, with neuropathy, venous insufficiency, spinal-osteoarthritis etc. and get all tingly from overwhelming electronics, such as for example huge-bright-glossy screens.

So anything not overwhelming in both these categories might suit me.
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2018, 05:37 PM   #2
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

You could use something like this which is fanless and therefore pulls less power:

https://azulletech.com/product/byte-3/
Old 05-11-2018, 12:19 AM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Thanks for pointing it out! Have you noticed the review by "Sam" which stated:

Quote:
Here's the problem. Windows 10 Pro cannot operate on a 32GB drive. Let me repeat that WINDOWS 10 PRO CANNOT OPERATE ON A 32GB DRIVE! Anyone that tells you that it can is either foolishly optimistic or trying to sell you something. One Windows Update, one Windows Rollback, one security update, or one temp file, and your are shutdown. You'll spend insane amounts of time searching for any bit bloatware or unessential program to uninstall just to save a 100 MB, and that's out of the box before you install your software. The Byte3 should come with a 64GB drive at the bare minimum- even if it cost a bit more. Or Azulle should have dumped the VGA port or a few USB ports to make up the price difference.

The solution is to install an M.2 or SSD and clone the boot drive. It sounds simple on paper, and it should be a quick process, but for whatever reason, it was not for me. If you are an average PC user (clearly the target demographic), then stay away from this machine. If you are an advanced user that is comfortable installing hardware, cloning drives, and editing BIOS then, by all means,​ go for it.
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2018, 01:14 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

P.S. I'm not sure why he suggests dumping the VGA port, since if i'd switch to a CPU (from my current thinkpads), i'd probably be using it with an old 15" LG monitor that has a VGA port.
Old 05-11-2018, 08:07 PM   #5
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

I have no clue what Sam is talking about. I own the Byte3. It came with a 64bit version of Windows 10 Professional.

I also find that the VGA port is needed.
Old 05-12-2018, 06:38 AM   #6
- Microsoft Support
BSOD Kernel Dump Analyst

My System

Sam's referring to disk space issues when upgrading W10 to the latest Builds. There have been plenty of issues with machines of 32GB disks, even from users of MS' own non-Pro Surfaces. The usual workaround is to extend the capacity by adding a second drive, SDcard etc., depending on what ports the device has free.

32GB really isn't big enough to support a non-Cloud computer over the medium term.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=windows+10...%2B32GB&ia=web
kendallt likes this.
Old 05-14-2018, 04:14 PM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

My System

So which way are people supposed to go if they want a home computer (not mobile)?

Sounds like Win10 is a guzzler which a cooler system cannot accommodate?
and maybe that's why Win7 is so popular?
I had also been considering the toughbook CF30 which has Win7, but perhaps the latter is not powerful enough to enable watching streaming video's on YouTube?
Or is it? Does anyone truly know?
Old 06-14-2018, 11:22 AM   #8
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

Not sure what everyone is saying here as this says it has drives 2.5 SSD SATA up to 512 GB m.2 2280 SATA up to 320 GB available.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 06-14-2018, 03:48 PM   #9
- Microsoft Support
BSOD Kernel Dump Analyst

My System

See the latest 1* comment and reply on Amazon for the Byte-3:

Quote:
... wish I can get my money back and get a laptop with a big hard drive, one that can accommodate Windows 10 updates. Azulle should be ashamed for calling themselves "computer people" and all the youtube reviews should be pulled for false advertising for not mentioning this issue.

Not cool Azulle

Showing 1 comments

LR Azulle6 days ago
Hello Rich,

Thank you for reviewing our product, we are very sorry for the dissatisfaction that you have experienced. This is very important for us and we can assure that we are always working to improve ourselves and provide better hardware and services.

The Windows Update are a known issue from Microsoft and it has been reported by several brands, we have come up with some solutions for it. Please feel free to reach out to us, our technicians will provide you the best options.

However the Byte3 goes further and we are proud to mention that our unit allows to expand the internal storage by using a m2 SATA or a 2.5' SSD SATA and you can even transfer the OS to the bigger drive, making the SSD, the main one. It is pretty simple and we provide all the documentation for it. Again, please contact us directly, our Tech Support Team will be more than happy to assist you with this matter.
The base version's (8GB/32GB) marketing is borderline false, W10 will install but fully updating it will likely need secondary storage to be successful.
Old 06-25-2018, 03:17 PM   #10
TSF Enthusiast

My System

If i'd get the above, could i somehow get Win7 installed on it?
A COA version - so that MSE could get updated with no issues?
Old 06-25-2018, 10:07 PM   #11
- Microsoft Support
BSOD Kernel Dump Analyst

My System

You'd need a Retail Windows version and probably some finicky workarounds to get the install working over USB (I think the USB type isn't supported by the W7 discs) and to get the graphics drivers loaded - default W7 Updates will try to load a 'blocking' patch as well.
Minni likes this.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:09 PM   #12
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Thanks for the info, satrow. So Byte3 isn't for me, then.
Perhaps HP mini?
or HP Compaq nc6400?
or Lenovo R60 or R61?

In other words, maybe i should go out on a limb and try dual-core, since they're low Ghz anyway...

The question is - would Win7 Home-Premium pose a problem?
Any other flies in the ointment? Very possibly intolerable outgassing epoxies, glossy screens, tiny text, defective speakers, and who knows what other shockers. I've never yet had non-shocks when buying such equipment, with the exception of these R52s, and an X31 i once had. Also T42 would have been good, had i not been scammed with its near-dead HDD.

Re: the outgassing i mentioned - understand - there's a huge difference between people like me, and many others. I once read that males, unlike many females, are protected by three factors:
ECW, certain hormones, and one other factor (I forget).
...I remember men coming to fix a clogged sewer in the basement. They were there for hours, and the stench had no impact on them.
I was unable to be there for even a minute, and needed to hold my hands over my face, in survival mode.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:41 AM   #13
Elite Commander

My System

Send a message via MSN to VividProfessional

do you need Windows? How about Linux on a Raspberry PI?
Old 07-11-2018, 12:13 AM   #14
TSF Enthusiast

My System

My phone service is Magic Jack which doesn't work with Linux, only Windows. There might be other snags down the road too, you never know.

It just occurred to me to wonder whether it wouldn't work with Linux once it's initially set up via Windows. After all, the computer need not be turned on, to make or receive calls.