Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

User Tag List

CPU temperature questions

This is a discussion on CPU temperature questions within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I recently built a new computer with an Asrock Extreme 4 MB and Intel i5 KabyLake 7600K CPU. I put

Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 08:02 AM   #1
Registered Member

I recently built a new computer with an Asrock Extreme 4 MB and Intel i5 KabyLake 7600K CPU. I put a typical fan cooler on it as it did not come with a stock cooler.

When in general use, the CPU temp is in the upper 30's and occasionally reaches 40 deg Centigrade. Once a week or so I do some intensive video processing. When I do so, the temperature of all four cores jumps to the high 80's. This may go on for as much as two hours.

My question is, is this dangerous for the CPU to be that hot for that period of time, and should I do something about a different cooler?

I am not overclocking. The cooler fan is on an auto mode, and I can definitely hear it speed up when this occurs.

Thanks for your help.

SMK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2018, 09:41 AM   #2
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
I put a typical fan cooler on it as it did not come with a stock cooler.
Any examples here or pictures of the cooler you're referring to ?

CPUs/GPUs are stressed when they're performing intense video operations, no name coolers may not be as efficient in dissipating heat, it's good to get a branded cooler.... Occasional spikes during intense operations are ok that's my experience...

Get a good cooler from a good brand, with copper tubing, if money is not an object, good to get a liquid cooling setup (not an absolute requirement)..

Old 08-01-2018, 11:48 AM   #3
Registered Member

This is the one:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...r-_-35-106-417

I do not specifically need one with a low profile, and obviously I could try a liquid cooler but my original question stands. Is this a dangerously high temperature for a few hours a week? I'd rather not change anything if I don't have to.

SMK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2018, 12:04 PM   #4
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team

Your tjunction temp is 100įC.....Junction Temperature is the maximum temperature allowed at the processor die. That said....you well with in the limits.....but that crappy aftermarket cooler isn't doing you any favors. You need a decent one to really keep the temps down. The Hyper 212 Evo is a great choice....best bang for buck.

https://ark.intel.com/products/97144...up-to-4_20-GHz

https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master.../dp/B005O65JXI
Old 08-02-2018, 03:47 AM   #5
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

I think the Thermaltake you have is ok for your day to day stuff, not great, but should get by... Ensure you don't run at peak temperature all the time..

Old 08-02-2018, 04:56 AM   #6
Registered Member

My System

Send a message via Skype™ to xtechnouser

I'll go for the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo than your Thermaltake cooler.
Old 08-02-2018, 05:15 AM   #7
Registered Member

Thanks all for your advice. Although it appears I am OK at the temperatures I'm running, I will look into a new cooler.

SMK
Old 08-05-2018, 10:41 AM   #8
Registered Member

Next time you buy a processor you want the oem version with a cooler because they design the cooler specifically for that processor and it’s low profile.You want to google oem cooler for your processor.
Old 08-13-2018, 03:49 PM   #9
Registered Member

As a follow up, I just wanted to let people know that I decided to purchase Noctua NH U12S cooler. I installed it this morning and I am extremely satisfied. First, I can't hear it either when "idling" or when I am doing video editing with a fan speed >1200 RPM. The CPU temps which had been up to the high 80's and rarely even 90 when at load are now in the mid 60's.

The installation was very easy, and the cooler just fits inside my mid tower case. I am very pleased with this purchase and put this here in case others are interested.

SMK
Closed Thread