Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

CPU temp questions

This is a discussion on CPU temp questions within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I recently bought an ASUS 1703, with an AMD 1065T processor. When I first start out, the ASUS utility says

Closed Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 09:44 PM   #1
Registered Member

I recently bought an ASUS 1703, with an AMD 1065T processor. When I first start out, the ASUS utility says my CPU temp is at 57 C. Coretemp is showing 41 C. I am using the stock fan that came with it. I will probably get the Antec Kohler liquid cooling system for this; since I had good luck with it on my last build.

What I would like to know is what temp utility to trust, and at what temp should I be getting real concerned with for this CPU? ASUS utility is set from the factory to warn if it goes over 77 C; though that is not the highest temp that can be set. Coretemp seems to think 99 C is the highest before it throttles back; which means that according to Coretemp, 79 C should be the warning temp. At least those 2 are close together.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2011, 09:58 PM   #2
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

What does BIOS report the temp as?
Old 09-05-2011, 06:10 AM   #3
Registered Member

The BIOS shows the same as the ASUS utility; which I would expect as it is an ASUS MB. I would assume that ASUS would write their BIOS utility to read their own BIOS.

I am trying to figure out why the 2 are so far apart; and at what point should I be worried.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2011, 06:49 AM   #4
Emeritus

The Bios is commonly the most reliable source for Temp & Voltage readings so I would be inclined to trust it.
*ASUS 1703* is a Bios version. What is the model Number of the Mobo?

Old 09-05-2011, 07:23 AM   #5
Registered Member

Sorry, I transposed the number. The full name is ASUS Essentio 1730-05.

The 1730-05 is a model that ASUS makes for Best Buy. I replaced the 300 W PS with a CoolerMaster 1000W PS that I had, and put in a NVdia 250 GTS video card.

I'm still trying to find the temp range of the 1065T processor though. i guess no one knows.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:47 AM   #6
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
I'm still trying to find the temp range of the 1065T processor
62C max

CoreTemp seems fine with Intel based systems, but I've yet to find an AMD system on which it displays accurately.

AMD Phenom II X6 1065T - HDT65TWFK6DGR (HDT65TWFGRBOX)
Old 09-05-2011, 07:54 AM   #7
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

That is too high of a temp for that processor. Make sure it's fastened down and latched correctly. There should be very minimal play if fastened correctly. Did you add thermal compund when you mounted the heatsink? I ask because Amd heatsinks come pre-applied allready.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:06 AM   #8
Registered Member

OK, no I didn't remove anything. This was a built PC from a store. I did not build it. I had read the figure of 62 C max; however, when I saw the BIOS warning threshold set to 77 C, I thought maybe this chip was different. I figured the manufacturer would set it on the conservative side. Apparently not.

I did check the play in the CPU fan, and there wasn't any I could tell. It seemed solid.

I am going to be replacing it with the Antec Kohler cooling system when I can; but that won't be for a couple of weeks yet.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:13 AM   #9
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

The BIOS temp warning is set as a failsafe to warn you when a excessive temp is reached. Is there a fan control setting in your BIOS? If there is set it to max or performance.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:22 AM   #10
Registered Member

Yes, that is why I had my question concerning the 62 C temp mentioned earlier. The BIOS failsafe warning is set to 77 C as the default. Although 62 C may be the best to try to keep under, am i going to burn up my CPU if it goes above 62 C? It has never reached 77 C, but it has come close a couple of times.
Closed Thread